On Fri Oct 16 2020, Florian Fainelli wrote: > I probably missed parts of this long discussion, but for this generation > of switches, does that mean that you will only allow a bridge with > vlan_filtering=1 to be configured and also refuse toggling of > vlan_filtering at run time? Nope. To sum up the driver will use "private" VLANs for the port separation. That will lead to certain restrictions. These are: * Private VLANs cannot be used by the user or other kernel modules (one per port) * Mixed vlan_filtering bridges are not supported, as there's only a global VLAN awareness flag (ds->vlan_filtering_is_global) * vlan_filtering=0 bridges and having standalone ports is not supported * Same VLANs on top of standalone ports such as lan0.100 and lan1.100 will break port separation and are also not supported Most of these restrictions are not important at the moment, because there are only two user ports. Either they're in a bridge or not. The "mixed" cases are interesting. However, as Vladimir suggested, I'll point these limitation to the hw engineers when they start to develop these switches with more than two user ports. Hope that summary makes it clear. Thanks, Kurt