Hi, Andrew Lunn writes: > On Tue, Jul 16, 2019 at 10:20:33AM +0300, Felipe Balbi wrote: >> TGPIO is a new IP which allows for time synchronization between systems >> without any other means of synchronization such as PTP or NTP. The >> driver is implemented as part of the PTP framework since its features >> covered most of what this controller can do. > > Hi Felipe > > Given the name TGPIO, can it also be used for plain old boring GPIO? not really, no. This is a misnomer, IMHO :-) We can only assert output pulses at specified intervals or capture a timestamp of an external signal. > Does there need to be some sort of mux between GPIO and TGPIO? And an > interface into the generic GPIO core? no > Also, is this always embedded into a SoC? Or could it actually be in a > discrete NIC? Technically, this could be done as a discrete, but it isn't. In any case, why does that matter? From a linux-point of view, we have a device driver either way. -- balbi