netdev.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Tobias Waldekranz <tobias@waldekranz.com>
To: Rasmus Villemoes <rasmus.villemoes@prevas.dk>,
	Vladimir Oltean <olteanv@gmail.com>
Cc: Andrew Lunn <andrew@lunn.ch>,
	Network Development <netdev@vger.kernel.org>,
	Vivien Didelot <vivien.didelot@gmail.com>,
	Horatiu Vultur <horatiu.vultur@microchip.com>
Subject: Re: commit 4c7ea3c0791e (net: dsa: mv88e6xxx: disable SA learning for DSA and CPU ports)
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2021 00:08:11 +0100	[thread overview]

On Mon, Jan 18, 2021 at 23:07, Rasmus Villemoes <rasmus.villemoes@prevas.dk> wrote:

>> What hardware offload features do you need to use for MRP on mv88e6xxx?
>> If none, then considering that Tobias's bridge series may stall, I think
>> by far the easiest approach would be for DSA to detect that it can't
>> offload the bridge+MRP configuration, and keep all ports as standalone.
>> When in standalone mode, the ports don't offload any bridge flags, i.e.
>> they don't do address learning, and the only forwarding destination
>> allowed is the CPU. The only disadvantage is that this is software-based
>> forwarding.

Just put some context around how these protocols are typically deployed:
The ring is the backbone of the whole network and can span hundreds of
switches. Applications range from low-bandwidth process automation to
high-definition IPTV. But even when you can meet the throughput demands
with a CPU, your latency will be off the charts, far beyond what is
acceptable in most cases.

> Which would be an unacceptable regression for my customer's use case. We
> really need some ring redundancy protocol, while also having the switch
> act as, well, a switch and do most forwarding in hardware. We used to
> use ERPS with some gross out-of-tree patches to set up the switch as
> required (much of the same stuff we're discussing here).
>
> Then when MRP got added to the kernel, and apparently some switches with
> hardware support for that are in the pipeline somewhere, we decided to
> try to switch to that - newer revisions of the hardware might include an
> MRP-capable switch, but the existing hardware with the marvell switches
> would (with a kernel and userspace upgrade) be able to coexist with that
> newer hardware.
>
> I took it for granted that MRP had been tested with existing
> switches/switchdev/DSA, but AFAICT (Horatiu, correct me if I'm wrong),
> currently MRP only works with a software bridge and with some
> out-of-tree driver for some not-yet-released hardware? I think I've
> identified what is needed to make it work with mv88e6xxx (and likely
> also other switchdev switches):
>
> (1) the port state as set on the software bridge must be
> offloaded/synchronized to the switch.
>
> (2) the bridge's hardware address must be made a static entry in the
> switch's database to avoid the switch accidentally learning a wrong port
> for that when the ring becomes closed.

I do not know MRP well enough, but that sounds reasonable if the same SA
is used for control packets sent through both ports.

> (3) the cpu must be made the only recipient of frames with an MRP
> multicast DA, 01:15:e4:...

I would possibly add (4): MRP comes in different "profiles". Some of
them require sending test packets at ridiculously high frequencies (more
than 1kHz IIRC). I would guess that Microchip has a programmable packet
generator that they can use for such things. We could potentially solve
that on newer 6xxx chips with the built-in IMP, but that is perhaps a
bit pie in the sky :)

> For (1), I think the only thing we need is to agree on where in the
> stack we translate from MRP to STP, because the like-named states in the
> two protocols really do behave exactly the same, AFAICT. So it can be
> done all the way up in MRP, perhaps even by getting completely rid of
> the distinction, or anywhere down the notifier stack, towards the actual
> switch driver.

You should search the archives. I distinctly remember somebody bringing
up this point before MRP was merged. So there ought to be some reason
for the existence of SWITCHDEV_ATTR_ID_MRP_PORT_STATE.

> For (2), I still have to see how far Tobias' patches will get me, but at
> least there's some reason independent of MRP to do that.

Like Vladimir said, do not count on that implementation making
it. Though something similar hopefully will.