On 7/20/22 18:50, Jakub Kicinski wrote: > On Wed, 20 Jul 2022 17:24:17 +0200 Matthias May wrote: >> I finally got around to do the previously mentioned selftest for gretap, vxlan and geneve. >> See the bash-script below. >> >> Many of the vxlan/geneve tests are currently failing, with gretap working on net-next >> because of the fixes i sent. >> What is the policy on sending selftests that are failing? >> Are fixes for the failures required in advance? >> >> I'm not sure i can fix them. >> Geneve seems to ignore the 3 upper bits of the DSCP completely. >> >> My other concern is: >> The whole test is... slow. >> I tried to figure out what takes so long, and the culprit seem to be tcpdump. >> It just takes ages to start capturing, more so when it is capturing IPv6. >> Does anyone know of a better way to capture traffic and analyze it afterwards? >> I used tcpdump because other tests seem to use it, and i guess this is a tool >> that most everyone has installed (that works with networks). > > Yeah, tcpdump is not great, there's a bunch of flags that make it a > little less bad (--immediate-mode?) > > Looking at the last test I wrote I ended up with: > > tcpdump --immediate-mode -p -ni dummy0 -w $TMPF -c 4 > sleep 0.05 # wait for tcpdump to start Thank you for the hint with the immediate-mode, that already shaved over a minute off. Before: real 3m40.056s user 0m4.103s sys 0m2.434s After: real 2m34.438s user 0m3.955s sys 0m2.350s BR Matthias