On 3/2/2020 8:27 AM, Jiri Pirko wrote: > Sat, Feb 15, 2020 at 12:21:59AM CET, jacob.e.keller@intel.com wrote: >> This is a second revision of the previous RFC series I sent to enable two >> new devlink region features. >> >> The original series can be viewed on the list archives at >> >> https://lore.kernel.org/netdev/20200130225913.1671982-1-jacob.e.keller@intel.com/ >> >> Overall, this series can be broken into 5 phases: >> >> 1) implement basic devlink support in the ice driver, including .info_get >> 2) convert regions to use the new devlink_region_ops structure >> 3) implement support for DEVLINK_CMD_REGION_NEW >> 4) implement support for directly reading from a region >> 5) use these new features in the ice driver for the Shadow RAM region > > Hmm. I think it is better to push this in multiple patchsets. For example, > for 1) you don't really need RFC as it is only related to the ice driver > implementing the existing API. > Yes that's my plan for the next revision. I'm working on getting the ice support ready to submit through IWL now. The other parts I will break into 2 series. > >> >> (1) comprises 6 patches for the ice driver that add the devlink framework >> and cleanup a few places in the code in preparation for the new region. >> >> (2) comprises 2 patches which convert regions to use the new >> devlink_region_ops structure, and additionally move the snapshot destructor >> to a region operation. >> >> (3) comprises 6 patches to enable supporting the DEVLINK_CMD_REGION_NEW >> operation. This replaces what was previously the >> DEVLINK_CMD_REGION_TAKE_SNAPSHOT, as per Jiri's suggestion. The new >> operation supports specifying the requested id for the snapshot. To make >> that possible, first snapshot id management is refactored to use an IDR. >> Note that the extra complexity of the IDR is necessary in order to maintain >> the ability for the snapshot IDs to be generated so that multiple regions >> can use the same ID if triggered at the same time. >> >> (4) comprises 6 patches for modifying DEVLINK_CMD_REGION_READ so that it >> accepts a request without a snapshot id. A new region operation is defined >> for regions to optionally support the requests. The first few patches >> refactor and simplify the functions used so that adding the new read method >> reuses logic where possible. >> >> (5) finally comprises a single patch to implement a region for the ice >> device hardware's Shadow RAM contents. >> >> Note that I plan to submit the ice patches through the Intel Wired LAN list, >> but am sending the complete set here as an RFC in case there is further >> feedback, and so that reviewers can have the correct context. >> >> I expect to get further feedback this RFC revision, and will hopefully send >> the patches as non-RFC following this, if feedback looks good. Thank you for >> the diligent review. >> >> Changes since v1: > > Per-patch please. This is no good for review :/ > I've attached the git range-diff between the v1 and v2 series. I'll keep in mind for future revision logs. Thanks, Jake