netfilter-devel.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* Bug: ebtables snat drops small packets
@ 2020-10-14  9:31 timothee.cocault
From: timothee.cocault @ 2020-10-14  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pablo Neira Ayuso, Florian Westphal; +Cc: netfilter-devel

Hi !

I noticed a bug when using the snat module of ebtables.
If the ethernet payload of a packet is less than 12 bytes, the packet gets dropped.

I traced it down to this commit which changes calls to `skb_make_writable` to `skb_ensure_writable` :
https://github.com/torvalds/linux/commit/c1a8311679014a79b04c039e32bde34fb68952fd

The diff gives a clear hint of the bug. For example, in `net/bridge/netfilter/ebt_snat.c` :

-   if (!skb_make_writable(skb, 0))
+   if (skb_ensure_writable(skb, ETH_ALEN * 2))
        return EBT_DROP;

The goal was to make the ethernet source and destination address writable, but the function seems to expects a number of bytes after the Ethernet header.
Hence, packets with a payload < 12 bytes are dropped. It probably applies to the other changes of the commit too.

I can confirm that setting the `write_len` parameter back to 0 "fixes" the bug, but I'm not familiar with the code enough to know if the call is needed altogether.

Given below is a "minimal" working example to reproduce the bug:

Setup two bridges, linked with veth adapters:

    ip link add veth1 type veth peer name veth2
    ip link set veth1 address 66:47:61:00:00:01
    ip link set veth2 address 66:47:61:00:00:02
    ip link add br1 type bridge
    ip link add br2 type bridge
    ip link set veth1 master br1
    ip link set veth2 master br2
    ip link set br1 up
    ip link set br2 up
    ip link set veth1 up
    ip link set veth2 up

Add a rule that changes the source of 802.1X packets from br1 to br2:

    ebtables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s 66:47:61:00:00:01 -p 0x888e -j snat --to-src 66:47:61:00:00:03 --snat-target ACCEPT

Send a packet to br2 (a dummy 802.1X packet with 12 bytes of payload):

    #!/usr/bin/env python3
    import socket
    size = 12
    s = socket.socket(socket.AF_PACKET, socket.SOCK_DGRAM)
    addr = ('br1', 0x888e, 0, 1, b'\x66\x47\x61\x00\x00\x02')
    s.sendto(b'\xff' * size, addr)
    s.close()

If we run tcpdump/wireshark on br2, we can see that the packets are present, with the snatted source MAC (:03).
However, if we send a packet with size = 11, the packet is dropped and we don't see it on br2.

Regards,
Timothée.

Thank you.

* Re: Bug: ebtables snat drops small packets
@ 2020-10-14  9:48 ` Florian Westphal
From: Florian Westphal @ 2020-10-14  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: timothee.cocault; +Cc: Pablo Neira Ayuso, Florian Westphal, netfilter-devel

timothee.cocault@orange.com <timothee.cocault@orange.com> wrote:
> Hi !
>
> I noticed a bug when using the snat module of ebtables.
> If the ethernet payload of a packet is less than 12 bytes, the packet gets dropped.
>
> I traced it down to this commit which changes calls to `skb_make_writable` to `skb_ensure_writable` :
> https://github.com/torvalds/linux/commit/c1a8311679014a79b04c039e32bde34fb68952fd
>
> The diff gives a clear hint of the bug. For example, in `net/bridge/netfilter/ebt_snat.c` :
>
> -   if (!skb_make_writable(skb, 0))
> +   if (skb_ensure_writable(skb, ETH_ALEN * 2))
>         return EBT_DROP;

Can you send a formal patch that fixes this up for all callers?

Thanks.