Netfilter-Devel Archive on lore.kernel.org
* Proposing to add a structure to UserData
@ 2020-02-13 14:12 sbezverk
From: sbezverk @ 2020-02-13 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pablo Neira Ayuso; +Cc: netfilter-devel

Hello Pablo,

I would like to propose to add some structure to UserData. Currently nft tool uses UserData to carry comments and it prints out whatever is stored in it without much of processing. Since UserData is the only available mechanism to store some metadata for a rule, if it is used, then comments in nft cli get totally screwed up.

What do you think about to add a little structure to userdata in order to preserve nft comments and at the same time allow developers to use UserData for other things.

If we could add attributes to UserData indicating type NFT_USERDATA_COMMENT with length, then we could preserve nft comments and at the same time allow to use UserData for other things.

What do you think?

Thank you
Serguei