Netfilter-Devel Archive on lore.kernel.org
From: Oskar Berggren <oskar.berggren@gmail.com>
To: netfilter-devel@vger.kernel.org
Subject: ipset make modules_install fails to honor INSTALL_MOD_PATH
Date: Thu, 21 May 2020 21:27:01 +0200

Hi,

In build scripts for a custom environment I have since about a decade
something like this to build ipset and package the binaries:

make
make modules
DESTDIR=... make install
INSTALL_MOD_PATH=... make modules_install

It was a long time since I last updated this, but this seems to have
worked for at least one of ipset 6.11 or 6.24.

However, with ipset 7.6, despite setting INSTALL_MOD_PATH, the scripts
tries to install under the real /lib directory.

In the makefile I find this line, which seems to override whatever I
set for INSTALL_MOD_PATH:

    INSTALL_MOD_PATH = /

Oddly enough, this line was introduced by a commit titled "Support
chroot buildroots":
http://git.netfilter.org/ipset/commit/Makefile.am?id=5bad18403fa258204214d45580ca0d235e1a4486

Changing the line to the following seems to make it possible for my
script to override and get the desired relocation:

    INSTALL_MOD_PATH ?= /

Or is there a different solution I should be using?

Best regards,
Oskar