nouveau.lists.freedesktop.org archive mirror
* [Nouveau] RTX 3070 / NV174 / GA104 - is there any development happening?
@ 2021-09-01 21:01 Przemo Firszt
From: Przemo Firszt @ 2021-09-01 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nouveau

Can you advise if there is any work happening on NV174 / GA104 (market
name RTX 3070)? I checked the features matrix and searched the code of
kernel, mesa, libdrm and xf86-video-nouveau. The only thig that seems
to be ready is kernel mode setting and the only piece of code showing
any results when searching for the code names is the linux kernel:

$ grep -ERi 'ga104|fv170|fv174'
grep: linux/.git/objects/pack/pack-
ab4e07c9b3c4ddb7ed2970684121a5c4b7ddfb1d.pack: binary file matches
linux/drivers/gpu/drm/nouveau/nvkm/engine/device/base.c:	.name
= "GA104",

Is there any developmen happening in the public space? I'd like to
support it (coding, testing, donating money) as I have a laptop with
that card.

--
Kind regards,
Przemo Firszt

* Re: [Nouveau] RTX 3070 / NV174 / GA104 - is there any development happening?
@ 2021-09-01 22:24 ` Karol Herbst
From: Karol Herbst @ 2021-09-01 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Przemo Firszt; +Cc: nouveau

On Wed, Sep 1, 2021 at 11:19 PM Przemo Firszt <przemo@firszt.eu> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can you advise if there is any work happening on NV174 / GA104 (market
> name RTX 3070)? I checked the features matrix and searched the code of
> kernel, mesa, libdrm and xf86-video-nouveau. The only thig that seems
> to be ready is kernel mode setting and the only piece of code showing
> any results when searching for the code names is the linux kernel:
>
> $ grep -ERi 'ga104|fv170|fv174'
> grep: linux/.git/objects/pack/pack-
> ab4e07c9b3c4ddb7ed2970684121a5c4b7ddfb1d.pack: binary file matches
> linux/drivers/gpu/drm/nouveau/nvkm/engine/device/base.c:        .name
> = "GA104",
>
> Is there any developmen happening in the public space? I'd like to
> support it (coding, testing, donating money) as I have a laptop with
> that card.

Sadly there isn't much you can do right now as the next step is to
wait until Nvidia releases and publishes firmware files in order to
enable acceleration in Nouveau. Once that happens we will enable
OpenGL on those GPUs and then everybody is welcomed to report bugs and
so on. But atm it just stalls on the initial enablement of those
pieces. The firmware would land in the linux-firmware repository under
nvidia/ga104 for your GPU.

@ 2021-09-02  0:07   ` Ben Skeggs
From: Ben Skeggs @ 2021-09-02  0:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karol Herbst; +Cc: Przemo Firszt, nouveau

On Thu, 2 Sept 2021 at 08:25, Karol Herbst <kherbst@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 1, 2021 at 11:19 PM Przemo Firszt <przemo@firszt.eu> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Can you advise if there is any work happening on NV174 / GA104 (market
> > name RTX 3070)? I checked the features matrix and searched the code of
> > kernel, mesa, libdrm and xf86-video-nouveau. The only thig that seems
> > to be ready is kernel mode setting and the only piece of code showing
> > any results when searching for the code names is the linux kernel:
> >
> > $ grep -ERi 'ga104|fv170|fv174'
> > grep: linux/.git/objects/pack/pack-
> > ab4e07c9b3c4ddb7ed2970684121a5c4b7ddfb1d.pack: binary file matches
> > linux/drivers/gpu/drm/nouveau/nvkm/engine/device/base.c:        .name
> > = "GA104",
> >
> > Is there any developmen happening in the public space? I'd like to
> > support it (coding, testing, donating money) as I have a laptop with
> > that card.
> >

> Sadly there isn't much you can do right now as the next step is to
> wait until Nvidia releases and publishes firmware files in order to
> enable acceleration in Nouveau. Once that happens we will enable
> OpenGL on those GPUs and then everybody is welcomed to report bugs and
> so on. But atm it just stalls on the initial enablement of those
> pieces. The firmware would land in the linux-firmware repository under
> nvidia/ga104 for your GPU.
I have had a whole slew of code sitting around locally for quite a
while now, towards enabling acceleration on these GPUs.  Ampere has
some significant changes in a few areas.  It hadn't been a huge
priority to push out due to the lack of available firmware, and I'd
taken the opportunity to work it in with numerous other improvements
which will benefit earlier chipsets / work towards enabling Vulkan at
the same time.

However, it turns out Optimus/Prime without copy engine support
(engine/ce, which depends on engine/host) is probably not possible.
And, likely unusable even if it were.  So, I'm working furiously to
get those chunks of it ready ASAP to at least enable those use-cases.
Hopefully full acceleration will appear not too long afterwards, I'm
working with NVIDIA on it.

Ben.

@ 2021-09-02 20:53     ` Przemo Firszt
From: Przemo Firszt @ 2021-09-02 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)