nvdimm.lists.linux.dev archive mirror
* [GIT PULL]: libnvdimm updates for 4.19-rc1 v2 [2/2]
@ 2018-08-22 20:22 Jiang, Dave
From: Jiang, Dave @ 2018-08-22 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: torvalds; +Cc: linux-kernel, linux-nvdimm

Hi Linus,

Please pull to receive the libnvdimm dax-memory-failure series for v4.19-rc1. I have removed the
offending ilog2() call and fixed up the patch accordingly.

As Dan mentioned, the justification for pushing this sooner rather than later is to
start the pipeline to the distros since enterprise in-memory-database
developers reported this gap in the kernel memory error handling
compared to the DRAM / page cache case.

I'm including Dan's original cover for the series for context:
"
As it stands, memory_failure() gets thoroughly confused by dev_pagemap
backed mappings. The recovery code has specific enabling for several
possible page states and needs new enabling to handle poison in dax
mappings.

In order to support reliable reverse mapping of user space addresses:

1/ Add new locking in the memory_failure() rmap path to prevent races
that would typically be handled by the page lock.

2/ Since dev_pagemap pages are hidden from the page allocator and the
"compound page" accounting machinery, add a mechanism to determine the
size of the mapping that encompasses a given poisoned pfn.

3/ Given pmem errors can be repaired, change the speculatively accessed
poison protection, mce_unmap_kpfn(), to be reversible and otherwise
allow ongoing access from the kernel.

A side effect of this enabling is that MADV_HWPOISON becomes usable for
dax mappings, however the primary motivation is to allow the system to
survive userspace consumption of hardware-poison via dax. Specifically
the current behavior is:

    mce: Uncorrected hardware memory error in user-access at af34214200
    {1}[Hardware Error]: It has been corrected by h/w and requires no further action
    mce: [Hardware Error]: Machine check events logged
    {1}[Hardware Error]: event severity: corrected
    Memory failure: 0xaf34214: reserved kernel page still referenced by 1 users
    [..]
    Memory failure: 0xaf34214: recovery action for reserved kernel page: Failed
    mce: Memory error not recovered
    <reboot>

...and with these changes:

    Injecting memory failure for pfn 0x20cb00 at process virtual address 0x7f763dd00000
    Memory failure: 0x20cb00: Killing dax-pmd:5421 due to hardware memory corruption
    Memory failure: 0x20cb00: recovery action for dax page: Recovered

Given all the cross dependencies I propose taking this through
nvdimm.git with acks from Naoya, x86/core, x86/RAS, and of course dax
folks.
"

I hope you will consider pulling the patch series. Thank you!

The following changes since commit 021c91791a5e7e85c567452f1be3e4c2c6cb6063:

  Linux 4.18-rc3 (2018-07-01 16:04:53 -0700)

are available in the Git repository at:

  git@gitolite.kernel.org:pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/nvdimm/nvdimm.git tags/libnvdimm-for-4.19_dax-memory-failure

for you to fetch changes up to c953cc987ab87d180e1d5de2f1c217abe33aac77:

  libnvdimm, pmem: Restore page attributes when clearing errors (2018-08-20 09:22:45 -0700)

libnvdimm-for-4.19_dax-memory-failure

* memory_failure() gets confused by dev_pagemap backed mappings. The
  recovery code has specific enabling for several possible page states
  that needs new enabling to handle poison in dax mappings. Teach
  memory_failure() about ZONE_DEVICE pages.

Dan Williams (13):
      device-dax: Convert to vmf_insert_mixed and vm_fault_t
      device-dax: Enable page_mapping()
      device-dax: Set page->index
      filesystem-dax: Set page->index
      mm, madvise_inject_error: Disable MADV_SOFT_OFFLINE for ZONE_DEVICE pages
      mm, dev_pagemap: Do not clear ->mapping on final put
      mm, madvise_inject_error: Let memory_failure() optionally take a page reference
      mm, memory_failure: Collect mapping size in collect_procs()
      filesystem-dax: Introduce dax_lock_mapping_entry()
      mm, memory_failure: Teach memory_failure() about dev_pagemap pages
      x86/mm/pat: Prepare {reserve, free}_memtype() for "decoy" addresses
      x86/memory_failure: Introduce {set, clear}_mce_nospec()
      libnvdimm, pmem: Restore page attributes when clearing errors

 arch/x86/include/asm/set_memory.h         |  42 ++++++
 arch/x86/kernel/cpu/mcheck/mce-internal.h |  15 ---
 arch/x86/kernel/cpu/mcheck/mce.c          |  38 +-----
 arch/x86/mm/pat.c                         |  16 +++
 drivers/dax/device.c                      |  75 +++++++----
 drivers/nvdimm/pmem.c                     |  26 ++++
 drivers/nvdimm/pmem.h                     |  13 ++
 fs/dax.c                                  | 125 ++++++++++++++++--
 include/linux/dax.h                       |  13 ++
 include/linux/huge_mm.h                   |   5 +-
 include/linux/mm.h                        |   1 +
 include/linux/set_memory.h                |  14 ++
 kernel/memremap.c                         |   1 -
 mm/hmm.c                                  |   2 +
 mm/huge_memory.c                          |   4 +-
 mm/madvise.c                              |  16 ++-
 mm/memory-failure.c                       | 210 ++++++++++++++++++++++++------

* Re: [GIT PULL]: libnvdimm updates for 4.19-rc1 v2 [2/2]
@ 2018-08-24 22:08 ` Dan Williams
From: Dan Williams @ 2018-08-24 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: torvalds; +Cc: linux-kernel, linux-nvdimm

On 8/22/18, Jiang, Dave <dave.jiang@intel.com> wrote:
> Hi Linus,
>
> Please pull to receive the libnvdimm dax-memory-failure series for
> v4.19-rc1. I have removed the
> offending ilog2() call and fixed up the patch accordingly.

Hi Linus,

Last business day of the merge window, one last ditch effort to
advocate for the inclusion of this and the other v2 libnvdimm pull
request for 4.19.

I agree with you that something is broken when a readily visible
mistake in core code makes it all the way to you. I take no issue with
your frustration, and I would not have pulled that branch either.

Dave fixed it up, albeit with a rebase, but I'm not aware of any
lingering issues.

Please save me from having to do another apology tour with
stakeholders that were expecting this to land since 4.18, or otherwise
let me know what process changes you would like to see going forward
for these cross sub-system pmem / dax feature series.

@ 2018-08-26  1:32 ` Linus Torvalds
From: Linus Torvalds @ 2018-08-26  1:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Aug 22, 2018 at 1:22 PM Jiang, Dave <dave.jiang@intel.com> wrote:

> Please pull to receive the libnvdimm dax-memory-failure series for v4.19-rc1. I have removed the
> offending ilog2() call and fixed up the patch accordingly.

Ok, not only does the code look fine now, I actually find this split
to have been much easier to look through, with the drivers split from
the memory-failure code. Please do this in the future too when you
have this kind of "driver changes and very core infrastructure
changes".

It may _look_ like more work to me when I do two pulls, but if they
are separated out sanely, it makes review so much easier that it's
actually less work overall. Thanks.

So pulled.

Well, this second one is not actually pulled quite yet - I'm still
doing the build tests for 1/2, but 2/2 has already passed my
sniff-test, so it's just waiting for the build tests to finish.

                Linus