nvdimm.lists.linux.dev archive mirror
* [GIT PULL]: libnvdimm updates for v4.19-rc1
@ 2018-08-17 16:17 Jiang, Dave
From: Jiang, Dave @ 2018-08-17 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: torvalds; +Cc: linux-kernel, linux-nvdimm

Hi Linus,

Please pull to receive libnvdimm contributions for v4.19-rc1

I did mess up the base slightly and several patches that went into v4.18-rc5 ended up in the pull request.
I hope that is not a problem. I didn't want to change the branch last minute since the branch has been pulled by
linux-next for a bit. Let me know if you want me to fix that.

I believe these are the ones that went into v4.18 already.
Dan Williams (2):
      libnvdimm, pmem: Fix memcpy_mcsafe() return code handling in nsio_rw_bytes()
      acpi, nfit: Fix scrub idle detection
Jeff Moyer (1):
      dev-dax: check_vma: ratelimit dev_info-s
Dave Jiang (1):
      acpi/nfit: fix cmd_rc for acpi_nfit_ctl to always return a value
Vishal Verma (1):
      tools/testing/nvdimm: advertise a write cache for nfit_test

The following changes since commit 021c91791a5e7e85c567452f1be3e4c2c6cb6063:

  Linux 4.18-rc3 (2018-07-01 16:04:53 -0700)

are available in the Git repository at:

  git@gitolite.kernel.org:pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/nvdimm/nvdimm.git tags/libnvdimm-for-4.19

for you to fetch changes up to 9103365c3acdcb613327be3699e231e18b5cf945:

  libnvdimm: fix ars_status output length calculation (2018-08-10 12:52:09 -0700)

libnvdimm for 4.19

* memory_failure() gets confused by dev_pagemap backed mappings. The
  recovery code has specific enabling for several possible page states
  that needs new enabling to handle poison in dax mappings. Teach
  memory_failure() about ZONE_DEVICE pages.

* Adding support to read locked nvdimm capacity.

* Change test code to make DSM failure code injection an override.

* Add support for calculate maximum contiguous area for namespace.

* Add support for queueing a short ARS when there is on going ARS for
  nvdimm.

* Allow NULL to be passed in to ->direct_access() for kaddr and
  pfn params.

* Improve smart injection support for nvdimm emulation testing.

* Fix test code that supports for emulating controller temperature.

* Fix hang on error before devm_memremap_pages()

* Fix a bug that causes user memory corruption when data returned
  to user for ars_status.

* Maintainer updates for Ross Zwisler emails and adding Jan Kara to fsdax.

Dan Williams (19):
      libnvdimm, pmem: Fix memcpy_mcsafe() return code handling in nsio_rw_bytes()
      acpi, nfit: Fix scrub idle detection
      libnvdimm: Introduce locked DIMM capacity support
      acpi, nfit: Prefer _DSM over _LSR for namespace label reads
      tools/testing/nvdimm: Make DSM failure code injection an override
      tools/testing/nvdimm: Fix support for emulating controller temperature
      device-dax: Convert to vmf_insert_mixed and vm_fault_t
      device-dax: Enable page_mapping()
      device-dax: Set page->index
      filesystem-dax: Set page->index
      mm, madvise_inject_error: Disable MADV_SOFT_OFFLINE for ZONE_DEVICE pages
      mm, dev_pagemap: Do not clear ->mapping on final put
      mm, madvise_inject_error: Let memory_failure() optionally take a page reference
      mm, memory_failure: Collect mapping size in collect_procs()
      filesystem-dax: Introduce dax_lock_mapping_entry()
      mm, memory_failure: Teach memory_failure() about dev_pagemap pages
      x86/mm/pat: Prepare {reserve, free}_memtype() for "decoy" addresses
      x86/memory_failure: Introduce {set, clear}_mce_nospec()
      libnvdimm, pmem: Restore page attributes when clearing errors

Dave Jiang (4):
      acpi/nfit: fix cmd_rc for acpi_nfit_ctl to always return a value
      acpi/nfit: queue issuing of ars when an uc error notification comes in
      Merge branch 'for-4.19/libnvdimm' into libnvdimm-for-next
      Merge branch 'for-4.19/dax-memory-failure' into libnvdimm-for-next

Huaisheng Ye (6):
      libnvdimm, pmem: kaddr and pfn can be NULL to ->direct_access()
      s390, dcssblk: kaddr and pfn can be NULL to ->direct_access()
      tools/testing/nvdimm: kaddr and pfn can be NULL to ->direct_access()
      dax/super: Do not request a pointer kaddr when not required
      md/dm-writecache: Don't request pointer dummy_addr when not required
      filesystem-dax: Do not request kaddr and pfn when not required

Jeff Moyer (1):
      dev-dax: check_vma: ratelimit dev_info-s

Keith Busch (2):
      libnvdimm: Use max contiguous area for namespace size
      libnvdimm: Export max available extent

Ross Zwisler (2):
      MAINTAINERS: update Ross Zwisler's email address
      MAINTAINERS: Add Jan Kara for filesystem DAX

Stefan Hajnoczi (1):
      device-dax: avoid hang on error before devm_memremap_pages()

Vishal Verma (3):
      tools/testing/nvdimm: advertise a write cache for nfit_test
      tools/testing/nvdimm: improve emulation of smart injection
      libnvdimm: fix ars_status output length calculation

 .mailmap                                  |   1 +
 MAINTAINERS                               |  13 +-
 arch/x86/include/asm/set_memory.h         |  42 ++++++
 arch/x86/kernel/cpu/mcheck/mce-internal.h |  15 ---
 arch/x86/kernel/cpu/mcheck/mce.c          |  38 +-----
 arch/x86/mm/pat.c                         |  16 +++
 drivers/acpi/nfit/core.c                  |  70 +++++++---
 drivers/acpi/nfit/nfit.h                  |   2 +
 drivers/dax/device.c                      |  87 ++++++++-----
 drivers/dax/pmem.c                        |  12 +-
 drivers/dax/super.c                       |   3 +-
 drivers/md/dm-writecache.c                |   3 +-
 drivers/nvdimm/bus.c                      |   4 +-
 drivers/nvdimm/claim.c                    |   1 +
 drivers/nvdimm/dimm.c                     |  24 +++-
 drivers/nvdimm/dimm_devs.c                |  31 +++++
 drivers/nvdimm/namespace_devs.c           |  29 ++++-
 drivers/nvdimm/nd-core.h                  |   8 ++
 drivers/nvdimm/nd.h                       |   1 +
 drivers/nvdimm/pmem.c                     |  33 ++++-
 drivers/nvdimm/pmem.h                     |  13 ++
 drivers/nvdimm/region_devs.c              |  40 ++++++
 drivers/s390/block/dcssblk.c              |   8 +-
 fs/dax.c                                  | 138 +++++++++++++++++---
 include/linux/dax.h                       |  13 ++
 include/linux/huge_mm.h                   |   5 +-
 include/linux/mm.h                        |   1 +
 include/linux/set_memory.h                |  14 ++
 kernel/memremap.c                         |   1 -
 mm/hmm.c                                  |   2 +
 mm/huge_memory.c                          |   4 +-
 mm/madvise.c                              |  16 ++-
 mm/memory-failure.c                       | 210 ++++++++++++++++++++++++------
 tools/testing/nvdimm/pmem-dax.c           |  12 +-
 tools/testing/nvdimm/test/nfit.c          | 129 +++++++++++-------

* Re: [GIT PULL]: libnvdimm updates for v4.19-rc1
@ 2018-08-18 23:15 ` Linus Torvalds
From: Linus Torvalds @ 2018-08-18 23:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Aug 17, 2018 at 9:17 AM Jiang, Dave <dave.jiang@intel.com> wrote:

> Please pull to receive libnvdimm contributions for v4.19-rc1

So I don't care about the libnvdimm code itself, but when you guys add
code to the core mm/ code, I start looking.

And when I then see shit like this:

        if (is_zone_device_page(p))
                tk->size_shift = ilog2(dev_pagemap_mapping_size(p, vma));

I go "No".

There's two issues with this:

 - the damn thing can return 0, which would be an error for ilog2, and
the result is undefined

   You never check for errors. There's a check for tk->size_shift ==
0, but is that actually the guaranteed return value of ilog2(0)? No.

 - there is exactly one user of dev_pagemap_mapping_size(), and the above is it.

   Why the hell didn't that function just return the number of bits to
begin with?

I do not care if you screw up your own particular driver that much.

But when I see a pull request with complete and utter garbage in the
core mm part, I will not pull.

This is not acceptable.

Pulled, merge conflict fixed, and then immediately unpulled again.

I do not want to *EVER* see these kinds of patches to core MM code.
And I'm not gfoing to pull these patches or anythinig that looks like
it has any trace of this shit.

I get upset, because dammit, I expect better. I don't want to go "oh,
this changes core code, let's just skim over the patches" and
immediately find something fundamentally broken like this.

               Linus

* Re: [GIT PULL]: libnvdimm updates for v4.19-rc1
@ 2018-08-19  5:08   ` Dan Williams
From: Dan Williams @ 2018-08-19  5:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

/me peeks in from vacation and realizes he has left his coverage with a mess

On Sat, Aug 18, 2018 at 4:15 PM Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@linux-foundation.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 17, 2018 at 9:17 AM Jiang, Dave <dave.jiang@intel.com> wrote:
> >
> > Please pull to receive libnvdimm contributions for v4.19-rc1
>
> So I don't care about the libnvdimm code itself, but when you guys add
> code to the core mm/ code, I start looking.
>
> And when I then see shit like this:
>
>         if (is_zone_device_page(p))
>                 tk->size_shift = ilog2(dev_pagemap_mapping_size(p, vma));
>
> I go "No".
>
> There's two issues with this:
>
>  - the damn thing can return 0, which would be an error for ilog2, and
> the result is undefined
>
>    You never check for errors. There's a check for tk->size_shift ==
> 0, but is that actually the guaranteed return value of ilog2(0)? No.
>
>  - there is exactly one user of dev_pagemap_mapping_size(), and the above is it.
>
>    Why the hell didn't that function just return the number of bits to
> begin with?

In an earlier version of the patch set the raw size was used, but yes,
now we only need the number of bits.

> I do not care if you screw up your own particular driver that much.
>
> But when I see a pull request with complete and utter garbage in the
> core mm part, I will not pull.
>
> This is not acceptable.
>
> Pulled, merge conflict fixed, and then immediately unpulled again.
>
> I do not want to *EVER* see these kinds of patches to core MM code.
> And I'm not going to pull these patches or anythinig that looks like
> it has any trace of this shit.
>
> I get upset, because dammit, I expect better. I don't want to go "oh,
> this changes core code, let's just skim over the patches" and
> immediately find something fundamentally broken like this.

Yes, that's my wreckage. I particularly should have known better
because I have seen your ilog2() misuse review comments on other patch
sets and was careless in this instance. I was focused on the
dax_lock_mapping_entry() implementation and did not circle back to
sanity check this when the test case started passing (not an excuse,
just thinking through how I overlooked this).

This support for turning machine checks in dax mappings into SIGBUS
unfortunately ended up touching "all the things" across mm/ and x86/
in addition to drivers/nvdimm/ and drivers/dax/. It ran out of time
for 4.18, and to help not miss 4.19 I offered to coordinate the series
in libnvdimm.git with acks from Naoya, Ingo, and Jan.

If it can still make 4.19, would you except a fixed up branch?

The justification for pushing this sooner rather than later is to
start the pipeline to the distros since enterprise in-memory-database
developers reported this gap in the kernel memory error handling
compared to the DRAM / page cache case.

I'm otherwise not in a position to help out on this with code until
I'm back in the office mid-September, so I'd have to put this on Dave
to clean up. Sorry Dave, and apologies Linus for the screw up.

* Re: [GIT PULL]: libnvdimm updates for v4.19-rc1
@ 2018-08-20 17:21   ` Dave Jiang
From: Dave Jiang @ 2018-08-20 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 08/18/2018 04:15 PM, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 17, 2018 at 9:17 AM Jiang, Dave <dave.jiang@intel.com> wrote:
>>
>> Please pull to receive libnvdimm contributions for v4.19-rc1
>
> So I don't care about the libnvdimm code itself, but when you guys add
> code to the core mm/ code, I start looking.
>
> And when I then see shit like this:
>
>         if (is_zone_device_page(p))
>                 tk->size_shift = ilog2(dev_pagemap_mapping_size(p, vma));
>
> I go "No".
>
> There's two issues with this:
>
>  - the damn thing can return 0, which would be an error for ilog2, and
> the result is undefined
>
>    You never check for errors. There's a check for tk->size_shift ==
> 0, but is that actually the guaranteed return value of ilog2(0)? No.
>
>  - there is exactly one user of dev_pagemap_mapping_size(), and the above is it.
>
>    Why the hell didn't that function just return the number of bits to
> begin with?
>
> I do not care if you screw up your own particular driver that much.
>
> But when I see a pull request with complete and utter garbage in the
> core mm part, I will not pull.
>
> This is not acceptable.
>
> Pulled, merge conflict fixed, and then immediately unpulled again.
>
> I do not want to *EVER* see these kinds of patches to core MM code.
> And I'm not gfoing to pull these patches or anythinig that looks like
> it has any trace of this shit.
>
> I get upset, because dammit, I expect better. I don't want to go "oh,
> this changes core code, let's just skim over the patches" and
> immediately find something fundamentally broken like this.
>
>                Linus

Linus,
I have addressed the mistake by changing the function directly to return
PXX_SHIFT instead of size and removed the offending ilog2() call. I have
pushed the branch to kernel.org nvdimm tree for linux-next soaking. If
it's acceptable to you I'll send the pull request again later this week
for 4.19 inclusion. Thank you!