ocfs2-devel.lists.linux.dev archive mirror
From: Changwei Ge <chge@linux.alibaba.com>
To: ocfs2-devel@oss.oracle.com
Subject: [Ocfs2-devel] NFS clients crash OCFS2 nodes (general protection fault: 0000 [#1] SMP PTI)
Date: Fri, 22 May 2020 09:35:04 +0800	[thread overview]

On 5/22/20 1:02 AM, Pierre Dinh-van wrote:
> On 5/20/20 4:52 AM, Changwei Ge wrote:
>> Hi Pierre,
>
> Hi Changwei,
>
>> You indeed provide detailed information on this problem and the
> research looks very nice.
>
> Thank you
>
>> On 5/19/20 6:48 PM, Pierre Dinh-van wrote:
>>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm experiencing quite reproducable crashs on my OCFS2 cluster the last
>> weeks, and I think I found out part of the Problem. But before I make a
>> bug report (I'm not sure where), I though I could post my research here
>> in case someone understands it better than I.
>>
>> When it happens, the kernel is giving me a 'general protection fault:
>> 0000 [#1] SMP PTI' or ' BUG: unable to handle page fault for address:'
>> message, local access to the OCFS2 volumes are all hanging forever, and
>> the load is getting so high that only a hard reset "solves" the problem.
>> It happened the same way on both nodes (always on the active node
>> serving NFS). It happens when both nodes are up, or when only one is
>> active.
>>
>>> This makes me a little puzzled, you mean you crash the kernel
>> manually or ocfs2 crash the kernel itself? From the backtrace you
>> posted, I assume that you crash the kernel manually to migrate NFS
>> export IP to the other standby node, right?
>>
> I'm not crashing the kernel manually (I don't know how I could do).
> Ocfs2 is crashing the kernel as soon as some NFS requests are coming in,
> after the node started to serve NFS.
>
> Maybe I'm using the term "crash the kernel" a wrong way. Actually, only
> the OCFS2 part of the system is not responding after this crash. I can
> still log in with SSH and try to do things.
>

>> First, a few words about my setup :
>
>> In fact, I am not quite experienced in this kind of setup where ocfs2
> serves as NFS/Samba backend filesystem, but the use case seems no
> problem to me. But considering that you have hundreds of clients
> connected to a single NFS/v4 server, do you have a performance
> limitation. This has nothing with the problem, just my personal curiosity.
>
> Most of the NFS clients are Linux desktop clients. Some MacOSX too. The
> accesses are not really I/O intensive so I don't have preformance issues
> of having only 1 active node. Actually, the performance problem we had
> first was because of o2cb speaking over a 1Gb ethernet link, which was
> increasing the lstat() time a lot compared to XFS we had before. The
> cluster setup was mostly designed to have an easy failover system, and
> OCFS2 gave the impression of reducing the risk of corrupt file system
> (and allowed samba to be load balanced too)

For load balance use case, it might have an effect on ocfs2 performance.
IMO, it works well for high availability scenario.

>> 4) nodeB's load is getting high
>>
>>> I suppose the reason is that ocfs2 can't successfully acquire
>> spin_lock of a system inode(ocfs2 internal mechanism to store its
>> metadata, not visible to end users ). As you know, locking path won't
>> stop trying until it get the lock, so it consumes a lot of CPU cycles,
>> you probably observed a high system workload.
>

> So a possible path would be something like this ? (I don't know much
> about internals auf NFS locking and POSIX locking, so it's a guess):
>
> NFS client has a lock -> server is rebooted and forgets about the locks
> -> NFS clients requests the lock (maybe ignores the grace time or races
> with the nfsd restart). nfsd ask the FS about an unknown lock and it
> crashes the OCFS2 module somehow.

Not really, the lock I mentioned is neither Posix lock nor NFSv4 lock
service. It's kind of kernel internal synchronization mechanism.

>> Most of the time, when the IP jumps to the other node, I get some of
>> this messages :
>>

>> [? 501.707566] (nfsd,2133,14):ocfs2_test_inode_bit:2841 ERROR: unable to
>> get alloc inode in slot 65535
>>
>>> This is very strange, I think ocfs2 passes the invalid slot number
>> to subsequent consumer function, which makes it use a dangling pointer
>> to a fake/illegal system inode. In other word, this why ocfs2 can't
>> acquire the spin_lock of system inode.
>>

>>> Can you try to fix the logic in `ocfs2_get_suballoc_slot_bit`
>> judging if slot number is valid? And perform your case once more?
>>
>>> Feel free to ask my help if you need. :-)
>>
> I never looked at the code of OCFS2 and I'm not familiar with filesystem
> internals. I actually wrote to ocfs2-devel because ocfs2-users is not
> letting my mails go through :).
>
> For testing the case, I will try to do something on the standby node on
> the original ocfs2 volumes, as soon as I'm sure that it's safe for the
> productive server. But for checking the logic in
> ocfs2_get_suballoc_slot_bit, I looked at the code and don't really
> understand it

Not a problem. I will see if I can allocate some bandwidth to fix error
judgement logic.

Thanks,
Changwei