On Wed, Aug 24, 2022 at 10:21 PM Andrew Morton wrote: > > On Wed, 24 Aug 2022 21:41:42 -0700 Shakeel Butt wrote: > > > > Did you evaluate the effects of using a per-cpu counter of some form? > > > > Do you mean per-cpu counter for usage or something else? > > percpu_counter, perhaps. Or some hand-rolled thing if that's more suitable. > > > The usage > > needs to be compared against the limits and accumulating per-cpu is > > costly particularly on larger machines, > > Well, there are tricks one can play. For example, only run > __percpu_counter_sum() when `usage' is close to its limit. > > I'd suggest flinging together a prototype which simply uses > percpu_counter_read() all the time. If the performance testing results > are sufficiently promising, then look into the accuracy issues. > Thanks, I will take a stab at that in a week or so.