openbmc.lists.ozlabs.org archive mirror
From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt <benh@kernel.crashing.org>
To: Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@linuxfoundation.org>
Cc: "linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org" <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>,
	openbmc@lists.ozlabs.org
Subject: Re: [GIT PULL v2]  FSI updates for 4.17
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2018 21:25:11 +1000	[thread overview]

On Tue, 2018-06-12 at 13:18 +0200, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 12, 2018 at 08:54:39PM +1000, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> > Hi Greg !
> >
> > There are a first round of updates of the FSI stack, aiming at reducing/removing
> > he gap with the OpenBMC tree and a first step in getting dependent drivers
> > upstream.
> >
> > These changes significantly improve the FSI bitbanging driver performance
> > and reliability, and add the new "sbefifo" driver for communicating with
> > the POWER9 Self Boot Engine (which will be needed for some upcoming
> > additional drivers).
> >
> > These were posted to the list as patches a couple of weeks ago and were
> > prior to that tested in the OpenBMC tree and CI. Some subsequent driver
> > work depends on some of these, so merging early is probably the best.
>
> Yeah, but as they are not "regression fixes", I'll put them into my
> -next branch for merging with 4.19-rc1.  I'll do that once 4.18-rc1 is
> released, can't touch my trees until that happens.

We are in regression only mode even before -rc1 these days ? including
for code that is basically completely unused upstream (which is what
this is trying to fix) ? :-) That's rather full-on ...

Anyway no biggie, it will just slow down some getting some of the other
drivers I suppose, though we can always explicitly list the dependency
on this tag to work around it.

Cheers,
Ben.