Zhenfei Tai wrote: > For our use case it's a more restricted environment in which we don't want > to have plaintext certificates in the request. Instead we want to send a > pair of encrypted key and certificate from the host to the BMC and there > will be another daemon to decrypt them using an internal library. certificates are public objects. Perhaps you are transfering a private key? Is this an IDevID-like installed by the manufacturer, or is this a cert/key to be used on the production floor (DC). If you have a daemon present that can decrypt things, then you already have a private key (or symmetric key) present, and that key is subject to attack. (Unless you add yet another layer of indirection via TPM chip....) I strongly recommend that you do not invent new technology here. EST (RFC7030) is considered the best technology here, with SCEP (RFC8894) being a legacy choice. > My questions are: > 1. Is this a reasonable approach? > 2. Shall we define an OEM schema for our request? Finally, I am working on a BRSKI (RFC8995, aka draft-ietf-anima-bootstrapping-keyinfra, not quite published, still in middle of AUTH48) module for OpenBMC. You may prefer help with that instead of inventing something that hasn't gone through the same level of review. -- ] Never tell me the odds! | ipv6 mesh networks [ ] Michael Richardson, Sandelman Software Works | IoT architect [ ] mcr@sandelman.ca http://www.sandelman.ca/ | ruby on rails [