openbmc.lists.ozlabs.org archive mirror
* phosphor-network: does it make sense to disable systemd-networkd sending DHCP release?
@ 2022-02-21  9:05 Heyi Guo
From: Heyi Guo @ 2022-02-21  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openbmc
  Cc: Ratan Gupta, Nagaraju Goruganti, Adriana Kobylak, William Kennington

Hi all,

Now systemd-networkd will send DHCP release packet when BMC reboots.
This may cause BMC to lose its original aquired IP after next boot up. I
see this feature can be disabled by adding below lines to the
configuration file of systemd-networkd:

[DHCPv4]
SendRelease=false

Does it make sense to disable DHCP release? Or is there any reason for
the current default configuration in phosphor-network?

Thanks,

Heyi

* Re: phosphor-network: does it make sense to disable systemd-networkd sending DHCP release?
@ 2022-03-02 15:50 ` Johnathan Mantey
From: Johnathan Mantey @ 2022-03-02 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Heyi Guo, openbmc
  Cc: Ratan Gupta, Nagaraju Goruganti, Adriana Kobylak, William Kennington

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1082 bytes --]

On 2/21/22 01:05, Heyi Guo wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Now systemd-networkd will send DHCP release packet when BMC reboots.
> This may cause BMC to lose its original aquired IP after next boot up.
> I see this feature can be disabled by adding below lines to the
> configuration file of systemd-networkd:
>
> [DHCPv4]
> SendRelease=false
>
> Does it make sense to disable DHCP release? Or is there any reason for
> the current default configuration in phosphor-network?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Heyi

FWIW, users within Intel get very cranky when their IPv4 addresses
change. I'm presently working on a defect related to the IP address
being altered.

As it is unclear there is a run-time mechanism for changing this value,
I'd at least like to see a compile time control. I expect Intel will
choose to block sending a DHCP release request for when the BMC reboots.

--
Johnathan Mantey
Senior Software Engineer

[-- Attachment #1.1.2: Type: text/html, Size: 2302 bytes --]

* Re: phosphor-network: does it make sense to disable systemd-networkd sending DHCP release?
@ 2022-03-06  1:54   ` Heyi Guo
From: Heyi Guo @ 2022-03-06  1:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johnathan Mantey, openbmc
  Cc: Ratan Gupta, Nagaraju Goruganti, Adriana Kobylak, William Kennington

Hi Johnathan,

Thanks for your feedback; I'll try to make a patch for that.

Heyi

在 2022/3/2 下午11:50, Johnathan Mantey 写道: