On Tue, Oct 06, 2020 at 03:57:30PM -0700, Sui Chen wrote: > On Fri, Oct 2, 2020 at 1:54 PM Vijay Khemka wrote: > > If I understand correctly, protocol buffer will be used by daemon who > > Is responding to the IPMI request and connecting to this daemon via > > library call, then it is completely restricted for the use of protocol buffer. > > If you are passing protocol buffer to this daemon then we have to define > > some policy here. > > The Protocol buffer is only for serializing the data to be sent > outside of the BMC. It is not used for communication inside > phosphor-health-monitor and will not be passed to the daemon. Why isn't this part done from within an existing IPMI provider (ideally to me a google-ipmi-* repository at this time)? I'm not especially keen on these details leaking out into other non-IPMI repositories. > > > > Other than these two things I think adding new metrics to > > phosphor-health-monitor should be manageable. I can start by trying to > > add the IPMI blob handler to phosphor-health-monitor; my first attempt > > might not look very elegant, but if we find answers to the two > > questions above, the merged result will look a lot better. Hopefully > > we can find a solution that works well for everyone. > > > > I am looking forward to your patches > > Please check out this WIP: > https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/phosphor-health-monitor/+/37092 > > This WIP currently just adds the IPMI blob-based code to > phosphor-health-monitor almost as-is. > It also shows what we already have now. > > There will be some work to merge the daemon and the blob handler in an > organic way, and I am open to discussion with you how to do that. The > first step I think I can do is to put the code for extracting the > metrics (metrics.cpp, blob/metric.cpp) into a single file and share > that between the daemon and the IPMI blob handler. > > Another issue I found is I am not using the latest sdbusplus so I have > to comment out the usage of ValueIface::Unit::Percent for now. > > To build this requires 1) adding a pkgconfig file to > phosphor-ipmi-blobs (before > https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/phosphor-ipmi-blobs/+/37133 > gets merged) and 2) adding phosphor-ipmi-blobs and protobuf to DEPENDS > in phosphor-health-monitor's Bitbake recipe. > > Hope this WIP change illustrates our intention clearly. > > Thanks! -- Patrick Williams