openbmc.lists.ozlabs.org archive mirror
* [redfish/v1/Systems/system/Processors] How does it work on wolf pass?
@ 2020-10-10  0:57 Zhenfei Tai
From: Zhenfei Tai @ 2020-10-10  0:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: OpenBMC Maillist; +Cc: Ed Tanous

I've been testing bmcweb and noticed the response from the URI
`redfish/v1/Systems/system/Processors` contains an empty collection.

{
  "@odata.context":
"/redfish/v1/$metadata#ProcessorCollection.ProcessorCollection",
  "@odata.id": "/redfish/v1/Systems/system/Processors/",
  "@odata.type": "#ProcessorCollection.ProcessorCollection",
  "Members": [],
  "Members@odata.count": 0,
  "Name": "Processor Collection"
}

Looking at bmcweb code, it seems to look for dbus interfaces
`xyz.openbmc_project.Inventory.Item.Cpu` and
`xyz.openbmc_project.Inventory.Item.Accelerator`. However they can't be
seen in dbus.

# busctl tree --no-pager xyz.openbmc_project.Inventory.Item.Cpu
Failed to introspect object / of service
xyz.openbmc_project.Inventory.Item.Cpu: The name is not activatable

Entity-manager and cpu-sensor are running in addition to bmcweb. The
entity-manager config is below and I can see the config is picked up in
`xyz.openbmc_project.EntityManager`.

{
  "Exposes": [
    {
        "Address": "0x30",
        "Bus": 0,
        "CpuID": 1,
        "Name": "CPU 1",
        "Type": "XeonCPU"
    },
    {
        "Address": "0x31",
        "Bus": 0,
        "CpuID": 2,
        "Name": "CPU 2",
        "Type": "XeonCPU"
    }
  ],
  "Name": "internal_code_name",
  "Probe": "xyz.openbmc_project.FruDevice({'BOARD_PRODUCT_NAME':
'internal_product_name'})",
  "Type": "Board"
}

I'm not sure what else is required to have the URI work properly. Could
someone familiar with this issue help?

Thanks,
Zhenfei

* Re: [redfish/v1/Systems/system/Processors] How does it work on wolf pass?
@ 2020-10-12 16:23 ` Bills, Jason M
From: Bills, Jason M @ 2020-10-12 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openbmc

On 10/9/2020 5:57 PM, Zhenfei Tai wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been testing bmcweb and noticed the response from the URI
> `redfish/v1/Systems/system/Processors` contains an empty collection.
>
> {
>    "@odata.context":
> "/redfish/v1/$metadata#ProcessorCollection.ProcessorCollection",
>    "@odata.id <http://odata.id>": "/redfish/v1/Systems/system/Processors/",
>    "@odata.type": "#ProcessorCollection.ProcessorCollection",
>    "Members": [],
>    "Members@odata.count": 0,
>    "Name": "Processor Collection"
> }
>
> Looking at bmcweb code, it seems to look for dbus interfaces
> `xyz.openbmc_project.Inventory.Item.Cpu` and
> `xyz.openbmc_project.Inventory.Item.Accelerator`. However they can't be
> seen in dbus.
>
> # busctl tree --no-pager xyz.openbmc_project.Inventory.Item.Cpu
> Failed to introspect object / of service
> xyz.openbmc_project.Inventory.Item.Cpu: The name is not activatable
>
> Entity-manager and cpu-sensor are running in addition to bmcweb. The
> entity-manager config is below and I can see the config is picked up in
> `xyz.openbmc_project.EntityManager`.
>
> {
>    "Exposes": [
>      {
>          "Address": "0x30",
>          "Bus": 0,
>          "CpuID": 1,
>          "Name": "CPU 1",
>          "Type": "XeonCPU"
>      },
>      {
>          "Address": "0x31",
>          "Bus": 0,
>          "CpuID": 2,
>          "Name": "CPU 2",
>          "Type": "XeonCPU"
>      }
>    ],
>    "Name": "internal_code_name",
>    "Probe": "xyz.openbmc_project.FruDevice({'BOARD_PRODUCT_NAME':
> 'internal_product_name'})",
>    "Type": "Board"
> }
>
> I'm not sure what else is required to have the URI work properly. Could
> someone familiar with this issue help?
On Intel systems, we currently get most CPU information from the SMBIOS
tables which are provided to the BMC through something called the MDR.
That application is available here: https://github.com/Intel-BMC/mdrv2.

When we have seen empty CPU or memory resource collections in Redfish,
it has usually been caused by a failure to get the SMBIOS data from BIOS.

@ 2020-10-14  9:06   ` Brad Chou
From: Brad Chou @ 2020-10-14  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bills, Jason M, openbmc

Hi Bills,

I am also interesting in this kind of SMBIOS table processing.

May I know if Intel has plan to pull this feature into
https://github.com/openbmc ?

By the way, I notice that a patch is also required to make it work.

https://github.com/Intel-BMC/openbmc/blob/4c732e83b4ca9a869c0a3f6e9b7e22ac9c76a78f/meta-openbmc-mods/meta-common/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-aspeed/0035-Implement-a-memory-driver-share-memory.patch

It says BIOS is using BMC VGA shared memory to transfer the whole SMBIOS
table to BMC, particularly a 16MB size memory allocated at 0x9ff0:0000.

My question is, if the BMC VGA memory hardware strap settings is 64MB,
that is BMC already occupy all VGA memory as frame buffer.

Can BIOS still use the VGA share memory to transfer SMBIOS table ?

Brad Chou

@ 2020-10-14  9:57     ` Andrei Kartashev
From: Andrei Kartashev @ 2020-10-14  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openbmc

Hi Brad,

It is already pulled: https://github.com/openbmc/smbios-mdr/
But.. The main problem here is that the BIOS has to know it should
share smbios table. Currently we struggling this problem since our BIOS
lack this ability and we have to implement it in BIOS.

BTW, I first time see this patch. According to what I know, today's
implementation is sending smbios table from BIOS to BMC via ipmi. There
are OEM commands for this implemented in intel-ipmi-oem.

--
Best regards,
Andrei Kartashev