openbmc.lists.ozlabs.org archive mirror
* [SecurityworkGroup] Security response team - bug database needed
@ 2021-06-10  0:15 Joseph Reynolds
From: Joseph Reynolds @ 2021-06-10  0:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openbmc, krtaylor

This is a followup to a discussion in the security working group meeting
held 2021-06-09 agenda item 11.

The security response team has difficulty tracking reported security
vulnerabilities to closure and writing CVEs in a timely manner.  Having
a confidential bug tracker would help.
Per Dick, the UEFI team uses bugzilla and has a restructured corner for
the security response team: anyone can write a bug, but only security
response team members can see it.
What are the best practices? How do we get a bug tracker which only
OpenBMC security response team members can read?

Joseph

* Re: [SecurityworkGroup] Security response team - bug database needed
@ 2021-06-16 13:08 ` krtaylor
From: krtaylor @ 2021-06-16 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph Reynolds, openbmc

On 6/9/21 7:15 PM, Joseph Reynolds wrote:
> This is a followup to a discussion in the security working group meeting
> held 2021-06-09 agenda item 11.
>

> The security response team has difficulty tracking reported security
> vulnerabilities to closure and writing CVEs in a timely manner.  Having
> a confidential bug tracker would help.
> Per Dick, the UEFI team uses bugzilla and has a restructured corner for
> the security response team: anyone can write a bug, but only security
> response team members can see it.
> What are the best practices? How do we get a bug tracker which only
> OpenBMC security response team members can read?

If I read this correctly, you are requesting a Bugzilla instance be
stood up to track security issues? Since we have no community project
budget to fund any type of hosting, nor any community interest to fund a
trust/budget, this would have to be a donated service. Maybe a
participating company would be willing to host and care for this service?

Alternatively, can the response team use a service that we already have?
Just thinking, I have no details, but maybe a new Github group/repo?

Kurt Taylor (krtaylor)

@ 2021-06-21 19:02   ` Joseph Reynolds
From: Joseph Reynolds @ 2021-06-21 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: krtaylor, openbmc

On 6/16/21 8:08 AM, krtaylor wrote:
> On 6/9/21 7:15 PM, Joseph Reynolds wrote:
>> This is a followup to a discussion in the security working group
>> meeting held 2021-06-09 agenda item 11.
>>

>> The security response team has difficulty tracking reported security
>> vulnerabilities to closure and writing CVEs in a timely manner.
>> Having a confidential bug tracker would help.
>> Per Dick, the UEFI team uses bugzilla and has a restructured corner
>> for the security response team: anyone can write a bug, but only
>> security response team members can see it.
>> What are the best practices? How do we get a bug tracker which only
>> OpenBMC security response team members can read?
>
> If I read this correctly, you are requesting a Bugzilla instance be
> stood up to track security issues? Since we have no community project
> budget to fund any type of hosting, nor any community interest to fund
> a trust/budget, this would have to be a donated service. Maybe a
> participating company would be willing to host and care for this service?

Yes, I believe other security response teams use Bugzilla.  I believe
that would work for OpenBMC.  A Bugzilla hosted by one of the TSC member
companies works for me.

- Joseph

@ 2021-06-30 22:11     ` Patrick Williams
From: Patrick Williams @ 2021-06-30 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)