openbmc.lists.ozlabs.org archive mirror
From: Ratan Gupta <ratagupt@linux.vnet.ibm.com>
To: Ed Tanous <ed@tanous.net>
Cc: OpenBMC Maillist <openbmc@lists.ozlabs.org>
Subject: Re: Using bios-settings-mgr for setting hypervisor network attributes
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2020 16:47:43 +0530	[thread overview]

On 9/30/20 9:26 PM, Ed Tanous wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 30, 2020 at 8:05 AM Ratan Gupta <ratagupt@linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:
>> Thanks all for providing the suggestions
>>
>> Currently Redfish Ethernet interface is not having the concept of
>> pending and configured values,That means if we use the EthernetInterface
>> schema, User can only see the configured values, There is no way through
>> which user can see the pending value, We need to come up with some REST
>> API to show the pending values.
>>
>> To solve this problem, Redfish has bios schema whch has the pending
>> attributes as well as the configured attributes
> Did not realize that about the Redfish schema.  Sounds like we need both then.

https://redfish.dmtf.org/schemas/v1/Bios.v1_1_1.json

The Bios schema contains properties related to the BIOS attribute
registry. The attribute registry describes the system-specific BIOS
attributes and actions for changing to BIOS settings. Changes to the
BIOS typically require a system reset before they take effect. It is
likely that a client finds the `@Redfish.Settings` term in this
resource, and if it is found, the client makes requests to change BIOS
settings by modifying the resource identified by the `@Redfish.Settings`
term."

>> How about using the Redfish Bios schema for front end and Bios-settings
>> manager as backend to make the things simpler?
> I'm not quite following.  Are you saying put the pending settings in
> the webserver?

No, I was mentioning that instead of using the EthernetInterface schema
, Can we use theBios schema for the network configuration and this bios
schema is backed up with bios-settings manager D-bus Repo.

https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/bmcweb/+/29670

https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/bios-settings-mgr/+/35563