openbmc.lists.ozlabs.org archive mirror
From: Andrew Geissler <geissonator@gmail.com>
To: "Matuszczak, Piotr" <piotr.matuszczak@intel.com>
Cc: OpenBMC Maillist <openbmc@lists.ozlabs.org>
Subject: Re: Critical BMC process failure recovery
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2020 16:57:36 -0500	[thread overview]

> On Oct 26, 2020, at 8:19 AM, Matuszczak, Piotr <piotr.matuszczak@intel.com> wrote:
>
> Hi, It's quite interesting discussion. Have you considered some kind of minimal set of features recovery image, to which BMC can switch after N resets during defined amount of time? Such image could hold error log and send periodic event about BMC failure.

That could definitely be useful. Some sort of safe mode. I believe systemd
has rescue/emergency mode options we could look at. I do think as Patrick
pointed out earlier though that most issues are some sort of BMC hardware
failure. Anything that needs the kernel running and even basic services going
is going to be difficult to get running in those scenarios.