openbmc.lists.ozlabs.org archive mirror
* Any convention on putting source codes into openbmc/openbmc repository
@ 2021-02-17  8:54 Thang Nguyen
From: Thang Nguyen @ 2021-02-17  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openbmc

Hi,

We implemented several features using c/cpp codes. Currently we put the
c/cpp source into the openbmc repository like below:

https://github.com/ampere-openbmc/openbmc/tree/ampere/meta-ampere/meta-common/recipes-ac01/host/ampere-host-error-monitor

https://github.com/ampere-openbmc/openbmc/tree/ampere/meta-ampere/meta-jade/recipes-ampere/host/ampere-scp-failover

I check from http://github.com/openbmc/openbmc but don't see source
codes put there. Is there any rule that prevent source codes put into
the openbmc repository?

Best Regards,

Thang Q. Nguyen -

* Re: Any convention on putting source codes into openbmc/openbmc repository
@ 2021-02-17 23:46 ` Nancy Yuen
From: Nancy Yuen @ 2021-02-17 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thang Nguyen; +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist

Code should be put into an appropriate repo, and repos created where
necessary.  Then referenced in recipes from openbmc/openbmc metalayers.

--

Nancy Yuen

Google Platforms

yuenn@google.com

Google LLC

* Re: Any convention on putting source codes into openbmc/openbmc repository
@ 2021-02-18  1:31   ` Thang Nguyen
From: Thang Nguyen @ 2021-02-18  1:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nancy Yuen; +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist

On 18/02/2021 06:46, Nancy Yuen wrote:
> Code should be put into an appropriate repo, and repos created where
> necessary.  Then referenced in recipes from openbmc/openbmc metalayers.
Thanks Nancy for the feedback. Do we have requirement for this or just a
recommendation?

@ 2021-02-18  5:23     ` Joel Stanley
From: Joel Stanley @ 2021-02-18  5:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thang Nguyen; +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist

On Thu, 18 Feb 2021 at 01:31, Thang Nguyen <thang@os.amperecomputing.com> wrote:

> On 18/02/2021 06:46, Nancy Yuen wrote:
>
> Code should be put into an appropriate repo, and repos created where necessary.  Then referenced in recipes from openbmc/openbmc metalayers.
>
> Thanks Nancy for the feedback. Do we have requirement for this or just a recommendation?

It's a requirement.

OpenBMC uses a project called yocto, which is itself based on
openembedded (OE). OE is a set of build scripts and configuration
files for building a filesystem. The filesystem will contain
applications, such as ipmi daemons, web servers, sensor monitoring
code, etc. The source code for those applications comes from the
application's repository. For example, our ssh server (dropbear) comes
from dropbear's website.

For applications that are developed exclusively for openbmc, we host
their source code as part of the openbmc organisation on github. But
the source code lives outside of the main yocto-derived repository,
and is checked out at build time.

If you have application code that you wish to be part of your system,
you should first see if it makes sense to contribute that code to an
existing repository. If it is unique, or deserves it's own repository,
then you can mail the list to request the creation of a new repository
for your code.

Apologies if I've covered something you already understood. Once
you've been around the project for a while it becomes second nature,
but it was hard to describe the concepts from scratch!

Cheers,

Joel

* Re: Any convention on putting source codes into openbmc/openbmc repository
@ 2021-02-18  7:42       ` Thang Nguyen
From: Thang Nguyen @ 2021-02-18  7:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joel Stanley, pvo; +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist

On 18/02/2021 12:23, Joel Stanley wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Feb 2021 at 01:31, Thang Nguyen <thang@os.amperecomputing.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 18/02/2021 06:46, Nancy Yuen wrote:
>>
>> Code should be put into an appropriate repo, and repos created where necessary.  Then referenced in recipes from openbmc/openbmc metalayers.
>>
>> Thanks Nancy for the feedback. Do we have requirement for this or just a recommendation?
> It's a requirement.
>
> OpenBMC uses a project called yocto, which is itself based on
> openembedded (OE). OE is a set of build scripts and configuration
> files for building a filesystem. The filesystem will contain
> applications, such as ipmi daemons, web servers, sensor monitoring
> code, etc. The source code for those applications comes from the
> application's repository. For example, our ssh server (dropbear) comes
> from dropbear's website.
>
> For applications that are developed exclusively for openbmc, we host
> their source code as part of the openbmc organisation on github. But
> the source code lives outside of the main yocto-derived repository,
> and is checked out at build time.
>
> If you have application code that you wish to be part of your system,
> you should first see if it makes sense to contribute that code to an
> existing repository. If it is unique, or deserves it's own repository,
> then you can mail the list to request the creation of a new repository
> for your code.
>
> Apologies if I've covered something you already understood. Once
> you've been around the project for a while it becomes second nature,
> but it was hard to describe the concepts from scratch!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Joel

Thanks Joel for your feedback.

BR/ThangQ.

* Re: Any convention on putting source codes into openbmc/openbmc repository
@ 2021-02-20 17:04       ` Patrick Williams
From: Patrick Williams @ 2021-02-20 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joel Stanley; +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist, Thang Nguyen

On Thu, Feb 18, 2021 at 05:23:56AM +0000, Joel Stanley wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Feb 2021 at 01:31, Thang Nguyen <thang@os.amperecomputing.com> wrote:
> >

> > On 18/02/2021 06:46, Nancy Yuen wrote:
> >
> > Code should be put into an appropriate repo, and repos created where necessary.  Then referenced in recipes from openbmc/openbmc metalayers.
> >

> It's a requirement.

My opinion is that there are two reasons that come to my mind on why we
follow this convention right now beyond just that Yocto is happier with it:

    1. We like to have a discussion before making a new repository to
       make sure we're not fragmenting the codebase more than necessary.
       Often problems/solutions overlap more than might seem obvious
       when you're looking at it just from your machine or architecture's
       perspective.  There may be some existing implementation that
       could be modified slightly to make it fit your needs, or it could
       be that someone else has the same problem and would like to work
       with you on implementation.

    2. All of our CI infrastructure is set up where machine recipes go
       in openbmc/openbmc and code goes in various code repositories.
       If you try to put code directly into openbmc/openbmc you do not
       gain any of those CI efforts we already have:
            * Build of your code and unit tests when someone
              makes a code change.
            * Unit test execution.
            * Code formatting.
            * Static code analysis.
       We have a lot of support at a repository level that doesn't exist
       in openbmc/openbmc directly, because it isn't approriate for what
       is there.

Hopefully this gives you some additional context on why.

--
Patrick Williams

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Any convention on putting source codes into openbmc/openbmc repository
@ 2021-02-22  8:25         ` Thang Nguyen
From: Thang Nguyen @ 2021-02-22  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Williams, Joel Stanley; +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist

On 21/02/2021 00:04, Patrick Williams wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 18, 2021 at 05:23:56AM +0000, Joel Stanley wrote:
>> On Thu, 18 Feb 2021 at 01:31, Thang Nguyen <thang@os.amperecomputing.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> On 18/02/2021 06:46, Nancy Yuen wrote:
>>>
>>> Code should be put into an appropriate repo, and repos created where necessary.  Then referenced in recipes from openbmc/openbmc metalayers.
>>>
>> It's a requirement.
> My opinion is that there are two reasons that come to my mind on why we
> follow this convention right now beyond just that Yocto is happier with it:
>
>      1. We like to have a discussion before making a new repository to
>         make sure we're not fragmenting the codebase more than necessary.
>         Often problems/solutions overlap more than might seem obvious
>         when you're looking at it just from your machine or architecture's
>         perspective.  There may be some existing implementation that
>         could be modified slightly to make it fit your needs, or it could
>         be that someone else has the same problem and would like to work
>         with you on implementation.
Thanks. It clears for me.

>      2. All of our CI infrastructure is set up where machine recipes go
>         in openbmc/openbmc and code goes in various code repositories.
>         If you try to put code directly into openbmc/openbmc you do not
>         gain any of those CI efforts we already have:
>              * Build of your code and unit tests when someone
>                makes a code change.
>              * Unit test execution.
>              * Code formatting.
>              * Static code analysis.
>         We have a lot of support at a repository level that doesn't exist
>         in openbmc/openbmc directly, because it isn't approriate for what
>         is there.

Does the CI setup automatically? if not, how can I set it up?

It seems I don't have CI setup on the
http://github.com/openbmc/ssifbridge repository. How can I have CI for it?

@ 2021-02-22 14:26           ` Andrew Geissler
From: Andrew Geissler @ 2021-02-22 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thang Nguyen; +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist

> On Feb 22, 2021, at 2:25 AM, Thang Nguyen <thang@os.amperecomputing.com> wrote:
>

> On 21/02/2021 00:04, Patrick Williams wrote:

>>> It's a requirement.
>> My opinion is that there are two reasons that come to my mind on why we
>> follow this convention right now beyond just that Yocto is happier with it:
>>
>>     1. We like to have a discussion before making a new repository to
>>        make sure we're not fragmenting the codebase more than necessary.
>>        Often problems/solutions overlap more than might seem obvious
>>        when you're looking at it just from your machine or architecture's
>>        perspective.  There may be some existing implementation that
>>        could be modified slightly to make it fit your needs, or it could
>>        be that someone else has the same problem and would like to work
>>        with you on implementation.
> Thanks. It clears for me.
>>
>>     2. All of our CI infrastructure is set up where machine recipes go
>>        in openbmc/openbmc and code goes in various code repositories.
>>        If you try to put code directly into openbmc/openbmc you do not
>>        gain any of those CI efforts we already have:
>>             * Build of your code and unit tests when someone
>>               makes a code change.
>>             * Unit test execution.
>>             * Code formatting.
>>             * Static code analysis.
>>        We have a lot of support at a repository level that doesn't exist
>>        in openbmc/openbmc directly, because it isn't approriate for what
>>        is there.
>
> Does the CI setup automatically? if not, how can I set it up?
>
> It seems I don't have CI setup on the http://github.com/openbmc/ssifbridge repository. How can I have CI for it?

Just need to make a request on mailing list or find me on discord.
I’ve added it now.