openbmc.lists.ozlabs.org archive mirror
From: Joel Stanley <joel@jms.id.au>
To: Oskar Senft <osk@google.com>
Cc: OpenBMC Maillist <openbmc@lists.ozlabs.org>
Subject: Re: Cherry-picking 5.16 commits into OpenBMC Linux?
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2021 23:22:53 +0000	[thread overview]

On Wed, 3 Nov 2021 at 16:29, Oskar Senft <osk@google.com> wrote:

> Hi Joel
>
> There are a few commit that I sent upstream that have been accepted by
> the maintainers (i.e. have the appropriate "Reviewed-by" tags) that
> are waiting for 5.16 to open.
>
> I'm waiting for these patches to be available to be able to send a new
> meta-tyan directory to OpenBMC for review.
>
> Would it be possible to cherry-pick these commits into the OpenBMC
> Linux tree to speed up this process? Or is this something you
> generally prefer to not do?

Yes, this is exactly what the tree is for.

> Specific patches:
> https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/20211020164213.174597-1-osk@google.com/t/#m8f7ac85809049fadcabf6e0bed1ebab12e71f094

I've applied this one.

> https://lore.kernel.org/linux-arm-kernel/20210909004920.1634322-1-osk@google.com/

If you take a look at the dev-5.15 branch, you can see that this one
is already applied.

> There will also be an update to the DTS from the second patch once the
> driver change from the first patch has fully landed. Or should I
> better send that DTS change now and we'll take it into OpenBMC Linux
> together?

Send the dts change to the upstream lists. I'll review and put it
straight in the openbmc tree.

In general I encourage developers to send patches straight to the
upstream lists, and once they've had a review there send me a note to
backport them and I will do that as soon as possible.

Cheers,

Joel