openbmc.lists.ozlabs.org archive mirror
From: "Garrett, Mike (HPE Server Firmware)" <mike.garrett@hpe.com>
To: Artem Senichev <artemsen@gmail.com>
Cc: OpenBMC Maillist <openbmc@lists.ozlabs.org>,
	"Pedrana, Nick" <allan.nic.pedrana@hpe.com>
Subject: RE: Leveraging and extending smbios-mdr
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2021 21:29:32 +0000	[thread overview]

Actually I'm talking about https://github.com/openbmc/smbios-mdr

It looks like this daemon tries to take in a data file at startup only (/var/lib/smbios/smbios/smbios2).  I'm wondering if there's a provision in the design to refresh the data file if appears or is updated later.  This file (at least in my experience) has to be created by an interaction with the BIOS during boot.  So it would be very reasonable for the BMC to boot before the host and there to be no file available yet.  Also, if something is updated on the host, a reboot may refresh this file.  So I think there are a couple of reasons why it would be good for this repo to react to data file updates.

If it doesn't exist and folks think it's a good idea, we can look at creating that capability, but I want to make sure it doesn't already exist.

Mike