openbmc.lists.ozlabs.org archive mirror
* Where to collect information for Redfish System's Processors, Storage, Memory data
@ 2021-03-16 10:22 Thang Nguyen
From: Thang Nguyen @ 2021-03-16 10:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: OpenBMC Maillist

Hi,

I am looking for how to support Redfish System schema which information
from Host:

- Processors: redfish/v1/Systems/system/Processors

- Storage: redfish/v1/Systems/system/Storage

- Memory: redfish/v1/Systems/system/Memory

I looked into the bmcweb repository at redfish-core/lib/memory.hpp and
redfish-core/lib/pcie.hpp but just see doGet() function to read data
from dbus to report via Redfish. There is no doPost() function to post
codes to Redfish.

My questions are:

1. How can Host BIOS collect information and send to BMC so that BMC can
report via Redfish? via in-band Redfish?

2. If the information is not from BIOS, how can BMC collect information?
What recipes/repositories are used to collect information?

Thanks,

Thang Q. Nguyen -

* RE: Where to collect information for Redfish System's Processors, Storage, Memory data
@ 2021-03-17 19:26 ` Ren, Zhikui
From: Ren, Zhikui @ 2021-03-17 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thang Nguyen, OpenBMC Maillist

[Ren, Zhikui] https://github.com/openbmc/smbios-mdr is the service that populates dbus objects

@ 2021-03-17 19:45 ` Ed Tanous
From: Ed Tanous @ 2021-03-17 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thang Nguyen; +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist

On Tue, Mar 16, 2021 at 3:22 AM Thang Nguyen
<thang@os.amperecomputing.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am looking for how to support Redfish System schema which information
> from Host:
>
> - Processors: redfish/v1/Systems/system/Processors
>
> - Storage: redfish/v1/Systems/system/Storage
>
> - Memory: redfish/v1/Systems/system/Memory
>
> I looked into the bmcweb repository at redfish-core/lib/memory.hpp and
> redfish-core/lib/pcie.hpp but just see doGet() function to read data
> from dbus to report via Redfish. There is no doPost() function to post
> codes to Redfish.

Today, there's no way to do this sort of Redfish POST/PATCH for normal
BIOS use cases.  I'm working on a design doc for how to add this (via
redfish host interface) to bmcweb.  If you have any ideas here for how
this should work, or requirements for what you're trying to do,
please, share.

@ 2021-03-18  7:40   ` Thang Nguyen
From: Thang Nguyen @ 2021-03-18  7:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ren, Zhikui, OpenBMC Maillist

On 18/03/2021 02:26, Ren, Zhikui wrote:

> [...]

[Thang] Thanks for your information. But I don't see any meta-* use
smbios-mdr. How can OpenBMC get SMBIOS information?

Do we need to implement IPMI OEM or something like that to send data to BMC?

And UEFI (EDK2) collects SMBIOS data and send to BMC over IPMI?

@ 2021-03-18  8:25   ` Thang Nguyen
From: Thang Nguyen @ 2021-03-18  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ed Tanous; +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist

On 18/03/2021 02:45, Ed Tanous wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 16, 2021 at 3:22 AM Thang Nguyen
> <thang@os.amperecomputing.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am looking for how to support Redfish System schema which information
>> from Host:
>>
>> - Processors: redfish/v1/Systems/system/Processors
>>
>> - Storage: redfish/v1/Systems/system/Storage
>>
>> - Memory: redfish/v1/Systems/system/Memory
>>
>> I looked into the bmcweb repository at redfish-core/lib/memory.hpp and
>> redfish-core/lib/pcie.hpp but just see doGet() function to read data
>> from dbus to report via Redfish. There is no doPost() function to post
>> codes to Redfish.
> Today, there's no way to do this sort of Redfish POST/PATCH for normal
> BIOS use cases.  I'm working on a design doc for how to add this (via
> redfish host interface) to bmcweb.  If you have any ideas here for how
> this should work, or requirements for what you're trying to do,
> please, share.

I checked on the Redfish Schema Supplement document and saw attributes
from the Memory, Pcie, ... schema are read-only. It means no POST/PATCH
action is supported now.

How's about suggesting on supporting POST/PATCH action with the needed
information change to read-write? UEFI will then collect data and send
Redfish commands via the Redfish Host Interface.

@ 2021-03-18 16:07     ` Ed Tanous
From: Ed Tanous @ 2021-03-18 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thang Nguyen; +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist

On Thu, Mar 18, 2021 at 1:26 AM Thang Nguyen
<thang@os.amperecomputing.com> wrote:

> On 18/03/2021 02:45, Ed Tanous wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 16, 2021 at 3:22 AM Thang Nguyen
> > <thang@os.amperecomputing.com> wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I am looking for how to support Redfish System schema which information
> >> from Host:
> >>
> >> - Processors: redfish/v1/Systems/system/Processors
> >>
> >> - Storage: redfish/v1/Systems/system/Storage
> >>
> >> - Memory: redfish/v1/Systems/system/Memory
> >>
> >> I looked into the bmcweb repository at redfish-core/lib/memory.hpp and
> >> redfish-core/lib/pcie.hpp but just see doGet() function to read data
> >> from dbus to report via Redfish. There is no doPost() function to post
> >> codes to Redfish.
> > Today, there's no way to do this sort of Redfish POST/PATCH for normal
> > BIOS use cases.  I'm working on a design doc for how to add this (via
> > redfish host interface) to bmcweb.  If you have any ideas here for how
> > this should work, or requirements for what you're trying to do,
> > please, share.
>
> I checked on the Redfish Schema Supplement document and saw attributes
> from the Memory, Pcie, ... schema are read-only. It means no POST/PATCH
> action is supported now.
>
> How's about suggesting on supporting POST/PATCH action with the needed
> information change to read-write? UEFI will then collect data and send
> Redfish commands via the Redfish Host Interface.

That's effectively what I'm hoping to propose.  ar ethe Memory and
PCIe schemas the only things you need?

@ 2021-03-18 20:08     ` Ren, Zhikui
From: Ren, Zhikui @ 2021-03-18 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thang Nguyen, OpenBMC Maillist

[Ren, Zhikui] I saw another proposal for adding POST and PATCH in redfish in a different thread.
For completeness of information, here is the existing IPMI handler in intel-ipmi-oem:
https://github.com/openbmc/intel-ipmi-oem/blob/master/src/smbioshandler.cpp

@ 2021-03-18 20:10       ` Ren, Zhikui
From: Ren, Zhikui @ 2021-03-18 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ren, Zhikui, Thang Nguyen, OpenBMC Maillist

[Ren, Zhikui] And for MDRV2 https://github.com/openbmc/intel-ipmi-oem/blob/master/src/smbiosmdrv2handler.cpp

@ 2021-03-19  2:13       ` Thang Nguyen
From: Thang Nguyen @ 2021-03-19  2:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ed Tanous; +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist

On 18/03/2021 23:07, Ed Tanous wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 18, 2021 at 1:26 AM Thang Nguyen
> <thang@os.amperecomputing.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 18/03/2021 02:45, Ed Tanous wrote:

>>> Today, there's no way to do this sort of Redfish POST/PATCH for normal
>>> BIOS use cases.  I'm working on a design doc for how to add this (via
>>> redfish host interface) to bmcweb.  If you have any ideas here for how
>>> this should work, or requirements for what you're trying to do,
>>> please, share.
>> I checked on the Redfish Schema Supplement document and saw attributes
>> from the Memory, Pcie, ... schema are read-only. It means no POST/PATCH
>> action is supported now.
>>
>> How's about suggesting on supporting POST/PATCH action with the needed
>> information change to read-write? UEFI will then collect data and send
>> Redfish commands via the Redfish Host Interface.
>
> That's effectively what I'm hoping to propose.  ar ethe Memory and
> PCIe schemas the only things you need?

I think the following information should be sent from UEFI: CPU
(information in SMBIOS type 4)), Memory, PCIE, Storage (SSD/NVMe, HDD,
...) and firmware information (information in SMBIOS Type 0).

I see in some hardware designs, there are I2C connections from BMC to
DIMM SPD and PCIE slots. I wonder if we can have alternative way to read
DIMM SPD and PCIE devices information.