openbmc.lists.ozlabs.org archive mirror
* ASPEED EHCI error: "controller refused to start: -110"
@ 2021-08-25  6:23 Tao Ren
From: Tao Ren @ 2021-08-25  6:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openbmc; +Cc: andrew, ryan_chen

Hi,

I started to see below EHCI probe failure on my AST2500 and AST2600 BMC
platforms since commit 280a9045bb18 ("ehci: fix EHCI host controller
initialization sequence"):

> ehci-platform 1e6a3000.usb: USB 2.0, controller refused to start: -110

The error happens because USBSTS.HCHalted stays at 1. But if I ignore the
error at probe time, the downstream USB devices can still be enumerated
without problems (even though USBSTS.HCHalted is still 1).

My questions are: why USBSTS.HCHalted stays at 1 on ASPEED platforms? Do
we need extra configuration at EHCI probe time for ASPEED SoC?

CC Ryan @ASPEED for more comments.

Cheers,

Tao

* RE: ASPEED EHCI error: "controller refused to start: -110"
@ 2021-08-25  7:48 ` Ryan Chen
From: Ryan Chen @ 2021-08-25  7:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tao Ren, openbmc; +Cc: andrew, Neal Liu, Joppa Tsao

Hello,
	ASPEED EHCI design for HALT bit effect is depend on Asynchronous/Periodic Schedule enable or not.
	If Asynchronous/Periodic Schedule not enable, but run bit is setting, Halt still = 1.

Ryan Chen

@ 2021-08-26  1:52   ` Tao Ren
From: Tao Ren @ 2021-08-26  1:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ryan Chen; +Cc: andrew, Neal Liu, openbmc, Joppa Tsao

Hi Ryan,

On Wed, Aug 25, 2021 at 07:48:57AM +0000, Ryan Chen wrote:
> Hello,
> 	ASPEED EHCI design for HALT bit effect is depend on Asynchronous/Periodic Schedule enable or not.
> 	If Asynchronous/Periodic Schedule not enable, but run bit is setting, Halt still = 1.
>
> Ryan Chen

Thanks for the inputs.

What is your recommendation? Enabling Async/Periodic schedule to make
USBSTS.HCHalted handshake happy? Or ignoring HCHalted check for ASPEED
platforms? Can you please send out a patch to fix the failure? The EHCI
driver stops working on ASPEED platforms since v5.10.

Cheers,

Tao

@ 2021-08-26  1:55     ` Ryan Chen
From: Ryan Chen @ 2021-08-26  1:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
> On Wed, Aug 25, 2021 at 07:48:57AM +0000, Ryan Chen wrote:
> > Hello,
> > 	ASPEED EHCI design for HALT bit effect is depend on
> Asynchronous/Periodic Schedule enable or not.
> > 	If Asynchronous/Periodic Schedule not enable, but run bit is setting, Halt
> still = 1.
> >
> > Ryan Chen
>
> Thanks for the inputs.
>
> What is your recommendation? Enabling Async/Periodic schedule to make
> USBSTS.HCHalted handshake happy? Or ignoring HCHalted check for ASPEED
> platforms? Can you please send out a patch to fix the failure? The EHCI driver
> stops working on ASPEED platforms since v5.10.

I think it should ignoring the HCHalted check for ASPEED platform.
I need think about how to patch for fix this.