openbmc.lists.ozlabs.org archive mirror
From: Bruce Mitchell <bruce.mitchell@linux.vnet.ibm.com>
To: linux-iio@vger.kernel.org
Cc: "openbmc@lists.ozlabs.org" <openbmc@lists.ozlabs.org>,
	Ed Tanous <ed@tanous.net>, Ed Tanous <edtanous@google.com>
Subject: Looking for clarification on sysfs IIO devices, do _raw devices require both _offset and _scale?
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2021 15:10:29 -0700	[thread overview]

In reference to:
https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/ABI/testing/sysfs-bus-iio

I have Temperature, Pressure, and Humidity IIO sensors.
IIO _raw devices look like this on sysfs:
   this happens to be a SI7020 type device with 2 sensors
     /sys/bus/iio/devices/iio:device0/in_humidityrelative_offset
     /sys/bus/iio/devices/iio:device0/in_humidityrelative_raw
     /sys/bus/iio/devices/iio:device0/in_humidityrelative_scale
     /sys/bus/iio/devices/iio:device0/in_temp_offset
     /sys/bus/iio/devices/iio:device0/in_temp_raw
     /sys/bus/iio/devices/iio:device0/in_temp_scale

Other IIO _input devices look like this on sysfs:
   this happens to be a DPS310 device with 2 sensors
      /sys/bus/iio/devices/iio:device1/in_temp_input
      /sys/bus/iio/devices/iio:device1/in_pressure_input

As I read it if the IIO device was an _input type on sysfs,
just read it (and possibly scale it for units).

But if the IIO device was a _raw type on sysfs my understanding
is that it must be accompanied by a _offset and a _scale for
at least temperature, pressure, humidity, voltage, and current
sensors.
Is that correct?

Further for any IIO device that is a _raw type on sysfs is it
required to be accompanied by a _offset and a _scale as well?

Thank you!

--
Bruce