openbmc.lists.ozlabs.org archive mirror
From: "Andrew Jeffery" <andrew@aj.id.au>
To: "Bruce Mitchell" <Bruce.Mitchell@ibm.com>,
	"Joel Stanley" <joel@jms.id.au>
Cc: Andrew Jeffery <andrewrj@au1.ibm.com>,
	OpenBMC Maillist <openbmc@lists.ozlabs.org>,
	Brad Bishop <bradleyb@fuzziesquirrel.com>
Subject: Re: My kexec test patches for OpenBMC
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2021 09:27:58 +1030	[thread overview]

On Wed, 17 Mar 2021, at 07:12, Bruce Mitchell wrote:

> -----Bruce Mitchell/US/IBM wrote: -----

> >Hello Joel,
> >
> >Thanks again for your advice and sharing your wisdom.
> >I am being urged by our manager to get this up-streamed
> >sooner rather than later. How can I best work with the
> >system to make this happen?
> >
> >Thank you!
> >
> >--
> >Bruce
> >

> Hi Joel and Andrew,
>
> I cannot find any response to this thread in my inbox,
> however I may still have missed it.

I don't think you missed anything :)

> "Joel's kernel changes are similar to what I had done. Since you know
> the community better than I do, I propose submitting your changes.
> I can do the labor, but want you to get the credit. How would you
> like me to proceed?"

Well, you've both ended up with the same implementation as far as I'm
aware? I don't think it matters too much which way the patches go in
terms of credit. Let's not hold the show up on something like that.
Joel will need to review your patches on the upstream list anyway, so
you might as well just post them rather than wait on getting
permission. "Bias for action" from Amazon's leadership principles is a
helpful mindset[1] (and it's worth reading the others).

[1] https://www.aboutamazon.com/about-us/leadership-principles

Before sending your patches, please read the following and make sure
you are confident your work satisfies all the listed requirements:

1. https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/Documentation/process/coding-style.rst?h=v5.11
2. https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/Documentation/process/submit-checklist.rst?h=v5.11

The very minimum is that ./scripts/checkpatch.pl says your patches are
clean and that you Cc the appropriate maintainers as listed by
./scripts/get_maintainer.pl.

The process of emailing patches is terrible, so if you have any
questions about that please don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers,

Andrew