openembedded-core.lists.openembedded.org archive mirror
* Honister broken WiFi communication
@ 2022-01-18  9:53 Jupiter
From: Jupiter @ 2022-01-18  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto; +Cc: oe-core

Hi,

Has anyone successfully built a Linux image by Honister to run WiFi
driver, connman and wpa_supplicant for WiFi interface?

I could build an image by Zeus to run WiFi driver, wpa_supplicant,
connman and dbus well, but after upgrading to Honister, the Linux
image building was fie, but the WiFi is now broken, the WiFi failed to
respond DHCP the WiFi could not connect to Internet, something is
broken between wpa_supplicant and connman which setting kernel WiFi
driver, WiFi interface and connection. I don't see any issues in
kernel WiFi driver, connman and wpa_supplicant, something missing in
the Linux image failing to set up the WiF network interface.

Appreciate your comments.

Thank you.

Kind regards,

- jupiter

* Re: [yocto] Honister broken WiFi communication
@ 2022-01-18 15:31 ` Rudolf Streif
From: Rudolf Streif @ 2022-01-18 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: JH; +Cc: yocto, oe-core

Hi JH,

On Tue, Jan 18, 2022, 01:54 JH <jupiter.hce@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Has anyone successfully built a Linux image by Honister to run WiFi
> driver, connman and wpa_supplicant for WiFi interface?

Yes, I have, but with Network Manager instead of connman. WiFi works
just fine.

> I could build an image by Zeus to run WiFi driver, wpa_supplicant,
> connman and dbus well, but after upgrading to Honister, the Linux
> image building was fie, but the WiFi is now broken, the WiFi failed to
> respond DHCP the WiFi could not connect to Internet, something is
> broken between wpa_supplicant and connman which setting kernel WiFi
> driver, WiFi interface and connection. I don't see any issues in
> kernel WiFi driver, connman and wpa_supplicant, something missing in
> the Linux image failing to set up the WiF network interface.

There are a lot of pieces in the chain and it is not obvious from your
description where it is broken.

If you run ifconfig -a does your WiFi interface show up? If not there is an
issue with the driver. Use dmesg and filter for the driver. Often a driver
cannot load the firmware. What is your WiFi hardware?

Did you install the regulatory database?

What error messages are you seeing when attempting to connect to a WiFi
network? Did you look at the connman logs?

@ 2022-01-19  1:45   ` Jupiter
From: Jupiter @ 2022-01-19  1:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rudolf Streif; +Cc: yocto, oe-core

Hi Rudolf,

Thanks for your response and comments.

> If you run ifconfig -a does your WiFi interface show up? If not there is an
> issue with the driver. Use dmesg and filter for the driver. Often a driver
> cannot load the firmware. What is your WiFi hardware?

Not that bad, the WiFi interfaces was fine, but it could not get dhcp
response and IP address so an automatic private IP address 169.254 was
assigned

mlan0     Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr D4:CA:6E:A4:E8:B4
          inet addr:169.254.193.101  Bcast:169.254.255.255  Mask:255.255.0.0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:330 (330.0 B)  TX bytes:16392 (16.0 KiB)

I could see WiFi information well, it is not a major problem, but the
subtle issues are connman and wpa_supplicant did not set up the WiFi
driver correctly.

Connected to 34:08:04:12:b1:a2 (on mlan0)
        SSID: JupiterIoT
        freq: 2437
        RX: 660 bytes (4 packets)
        TX: 46622 bytes (129 packets)
        signal: -57 dBm
        rx bitrate: 1.0 MBit/s
        tx bitrate: 72.2 MBit/s MCS 7 short GI

        bss flags:      short-slot-time
        dtim period:    1
        beacon int:     100

> Did you install the regulatory database?

Did you mean to enable CONFIG_CFG80211_INTERNAL_REGDB? No, I did not
install it in the Zeus version either so I don't see that could be an
issue.

> What error messages are you seeing when attempting to connect to a WiFi
> network? Did you look at the connman logs?

No error in connman, I don't think it is connman or wpa_supplicant
issue, my suspicion is something missing in Honister built image to
prevent connman and wpa_supplicant to set up the WiFi driver
correctly.

It is not the first time I have the WiFi setup trouble to get WiFi
169.254 address, when I upgraded from Thud to Zeus, I got the exactly
the same problem that WiFi was assigned by a 169.254 address, no dhcp
response, at time, I was totally convinced it was connman issue, I
spend several months to debug connman and wpa_supplicant without any
results, then after waiting several months to pull updated Zeus again,
that problem was disappeared miraculous, that is why I suspect the
same problem in oe-core and bitbake in Honister as well.

Are there anyone in oe-core and bitbake tested connman, wpa_supplicant
for the current Honister branch? I can help to test and to debug it if
more advanced people in oe-core, bitbake, kernel, WiFi driver mwifiex
can provide me more information.

@ 2022-01-20  1:01     ` Rudolf J Streif
From: Rudolf J Streif @ 2022-01-20  1:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jupiter; +Cc: yocto, oe-core