On Thu, 20 Jan 2022 at 21:46, Richard Purdie < richard.purdie@linuxfoundation.org> wrote: > > I think the patch as it stands will actually regress things for many > users. You > must be already in the right groups to be able to access kvm on your > system but > I don't think that is the default for many distros. On those distros you > would > see a "permission denied" message from qemu which users find very > confusing and > I think this is why the code is in the form it is in. > > We might be able to improve the test further with the open permissions > Alexander > mentions but that is probably necessary to make the patch mergable. > I guess what we can do for a start is to check if host and target arches match (e.g. x86 on x86), and then if kvm is not asked for, gently suggest to the users that they do, for a much better experience, with a link to the kvm on yocto guide. Then we can look into auto-attempting it carefully, so that such attempts don't make the experience worse. Alex