outreachy.lists.linux.dev archive mirror
* Suggestions on CHECK avoiding camel case
@ 2023-03-27 21:47 Khadija Kamran
From: Khadija Kamran @ 2023-03-27 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: outreachy

Dear Outreachy Mentors,

I am working on the folowing check reported by checkpatch.pl:

CHECK: Avoid CamelCase: <dot11RSNAStatsCCMPFormatErrors>
#37: FILE: drivers/staging/rtl8192e/rtllib_crypt_ccmp.c:37:
+       u32 dot11RSNAStatsCCMPFormatErrors;

CHECK: Avoid CamelCase: <dot11RSNAStatsCCMPReplays>
#38: FILE: drivers/staging/rtl8192e/rtllib_crypt_ccmp.c:38:
+       u32 dot11RSNAStatsCCMPReplays;

Such issues are reported by checkpatch in other files in
drivers/staging/ modules as well.

Should I change the varible names here or should I leave it as is?

Kindly guide me with this.

Thank you for your time.

Regards,
Khadija

* Re: Suggestions on CHECK avoiding camel case
@ 2023-03-28 18:02 ` Deepak R Varma
From: Deepak R Varma @ 2023-03-28 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Khadija Kamran; +Cc: outreachy

On Tue, Mar 28, 2023 at 02:47:18AM +0500, Khadija Kamran wrote:
> Dear Outreachy Mentors,
>
> I am working on the folowing check reported by checkpatch.pl:
>
> CHECK: Avoid CamelCase: <dot11RSNAStatsCCMPFormatErrors>
> #37: FILE: drivers/staging/rtl8192e/rtllib_crypt_ccmp.c:37:
> +       u32 dot11RSNAStatsCCMPFormatErrors;
>
> CHECK: Avoid CamelCase: <dot11RSNAStatsCCMPReplays>
> #38: FILE: drivers/staging/rtl8192e/rtllib_crypt_ccmp.c:38:
> +       u32 dot11RSNAStatsCCMPReplays;
>
> Such issues are reported by checkpatch in other files in
> drivers/staging/ modules as well.
>
> Should I change the varible names here or should I leave it as is?

Hi Khadija,
The variable names appear relatively odd to me. You can propose to alter these
as per the Linux Kernel coding-style. One thing I would suggest additionally
would be to add a comment at the beginning of the variable declaration that
would read something like:
	/* .11 RSNA stats for CCMP */
	u32 ccmp_format_errors;
	u32 ccmp_replays
	u32 ccmp_decrypt_errors;

Send these as 3 patches with the comment and variable change in patch 1 and the
other two variables in two separate patches. Make sure you are able to build the
full driver [.ko] after each patch.

I _think_ the change is good, however, it will depend upon the maintainers if
they too like it.

Please allow a few hours for any other mentors to comment before you start
making the changes.

Thanks,
Deepak.

@ 2023-03-28 19:34   ` Khadija Kamran
From: Khadija Kamran @ 2023-03-28 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Deepak R Varma; +Cc: outreachy

On Tue, Mar 28, 2023 at 11:32:00PM +0530, Deepak R Varma wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 28, 2023 at 02:47:18AM +0500, Khadija Kamran wrote:
> > Dear Outreachy Mentors,
> >
> > I am working on the folowing check reported by checkpatch.pl:
> >
> > CHECK: Avoid CamelCase: <dot11RSNAStatsCCMPFormatErrors>
> > #37: FILE: drivers/staging/rtl8192e/rtllib_crypt_ccmp.c:37:
> > +       u32 dot11RSNAStatsCCMPFormatErrors;
> >
> > CHECK: Avoid CamelCase: <dot11RSNAStatsCCMPReplays>
> > #38: FILE: drivers/staging/rtl8192e/rtllib_crypt_ccmp.c:38:
> > +       u32 dot11RSNAStatsCCMPReplays;
> >
> > Such issues are reported by checkpatch in other files in
> > drivers/staging/ modules as well.
> >
> > Should I change the varible names here or should I leave it as is?
>
> Hi Khadija,
> The variable names appear relatively odd to me. You can propose to alter these
> as per the Linux Kernel coding-style. One thing I would suggest additionally
> would be to add a comment at the beginning of the variable declaration that
> would read something like:
> 	/* .11 RSNA stats for CCMP */
> 	u32 ccmp_format_errors;
> 	u32 ccmp_replays
> 	u32 ccmp_decrypt_errors;
>
> Send these as 3 patches with the comment and variable change in patch 1 and the
> other two variables in two separate patches. Make sure you are able to build the
> full driver [.ko] after each patch.
>
> I _think_ the change is good, however, it will depend upon the maintainers if
> they too like it.
>
> Please allow a few hours for any other mentors to comment before you start
> making the changes.

Hey Deepak,

Thank you for the suggestion. Okay, I will wait for more feedback before
starting any work on this. :)

Regards,
Khadija