[v2,0/7] Improve boot command line handling
mbox series

Message ID cover.1614705851.git.christophe.leroy@csgroup.eu
Headers show
Series
  • Improve boot command line handling
Related show

Message

Christophe Leroy March 2, 2021, 5:25 p.m. UTC
The purpose of this series is to improve and enhance the
handling of kernel boot arguments.

It is first focussed on powerpc but also extends the capability
for other arches.

This is based on suggestion from Daniel Walker <danielwa@cisco.com>

Christophe Leroy (7):
  cmdline: Add generic function to build command line.
  drivers: of: use cmdline building function
  powerpc: convert to generic builtin command line
  cmdline: Add capability to prepend the command line
  powerpc: add capability to prepend default command line
  cmdline: Gives architectures opportunity to use generically defined
    boot cmdline manipulation
  powerpc: use generic CMDLINE manipulations

 arch/powerpc/Kconfig            | 37 ++-----------------
 arch/powerpc/kernel/prom_init.c | 35 +++---------------
 drivers/of/fdt.c                | 23 ++----------
 include/linux/cmdline.h         | 65 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 init/Kconfig                    | 56 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 5 files changed, 133 insertions(+), 83 deletions(-)
 create mode 100644 include/linux/cmdline.h

Comments

Rob Herring March 3, 2021, 2:01 a.m. UTC | #1
+Will D

On Tue, Mar 2, 2021 at 11:36 AM Daniel Walker <danielwa@cisco.com> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Mar 02, 2021 at 05:25:16PM +0000, Christophe Leroy wrote:
> > The purpose of this series is to improve and enhance the
> > handling of kernel boot arguments.
> >
> > It is first focussed on powerpc but also extends the capability
> > for other arches.
> >
> > This is based on suggestion from Daniel Walker <danielwa@cisco.com>
> >
>
>
> I don't see a point in your changes at this time. My changes are much more
> mature, and you changes don't really make improvements.

Not really a helpful comment. What we merge here will be from whomever
is persistent and timely in their efforts. But please, work together
on a common solution.

This one meets my requirements of moving the kconfig and code out of
the arches, supports prepend/append, and is up to date.

Rob
Daniel Walker March 3, 2021, 5:39 p.m. UTC | #2
On Tue, Mar 02, 2021 at 08:01:01PM -0600, Rob Herring wrote:
> +Will D
> 
> On Tue, Mar 2, 2021 at 11:36 AM Daniel Walker <danielwa@cisco.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Mar 02, 2021 at 05:25:16PM +0000, Christophe Leroy wrote:
> > > The purpose of this series is to improve and enhance the
> > > handling of kernel boot arguments.
> > >
> > > It is first focussed on powerpc but also extends the capability
> > > for other arches.
> > >
> > > This is based on suggestion from Daniel Walker <danielwa@cisco.com>
> > >
> >
> >
> > I don't see a point in your changes at this time. My changes are much more
> > mature, and you changes don't really make improvements.
> 
> Not really a helpful comment. What we merge here will be from whomever
> is persistent and timely in their efforts. But please, work together
> on a common solution.
> 
> This one meets my requirements of moving the kconfig and code out of
> the arches, supports prepend/append, and is up to date.


Maintainers are capable of merging whatever they want to merge. However, I
wouldn't make hasty choices. The changes I've been submitting have been deployed
on millions of router instances and are more feature rich.

I believe I worked with you on this change, or something like it,

https://lkml.org/lkml/2019/3/19/970

I don't think Christophe has even addressed this. I've converted many
architectures, and Cisco uses my changes on at least 4 different
architecture. With products deployed and tested.

I will resubmit my changes as soon as I can.

Daniel
Christophe Leroy March 3, 2021, 6:07 p.m. UTC | #3
Le 03/03/2021 à 18:39, Daniel Walker a écrit :
> On Tue, Mar 02, 2021 at 08:01:01PM -0600, Rob Herring wrote:
>> +Will D
>>
>> On Tue, Mar 2, 2021 at 11:36 AM Daniel Walker <danielwa@cisco.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> On Tue, Mar 02, 2021 at 05:25:16PM +0000, Christophe Leroy wrote:
>>>> The purpose of this series is to improve and enhance the
>>>> handling of kernel boot arguments.
>>>>
>>>> It is first focussed on powerpc but also extends the capability
>>>> for other arches.
>>>>
>>>> This is based on suggestion from Daniel Walker <danielwa@cisco.com>
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> I don't see a point in your changes at this time. My changes are much more
>>> mature, and you changes don't really make improvements.
>>
>> Not really a helpful comment. What we merge here will be from whomever
>> is persistent and timely in their efforts. But please, work together
>> on a common solution.
>>
>> This one meets my requirements of moving the kconfig and code out of
>> the arches, supports prepend/append, and is up to date.
> 
> 
> Maintainers are capable of merging whatever they want to merge. However, I
> wouldn't make hasty choices. The changes I've been submitting have been deployed
> on millions of router instances and are more feature rich.
> 
> I believe I worked with you on this change, or something like it,
> 
> https://lkml.org/lkml/2019/3/19/970
> 
> I don't think Christophe has even addressed this.

I thing I have, see 
https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/linuxppc-dev/patch/3b4291271ce4af4941a771e5af5cbba3c8fa1b2a.1614705851.git.christophe.leroy@csgroup.eu/

If you see something missing in that patch, can you tell me.

> I've converted many
> architectures, and Cisco uses my changes on at least 4 different
> architecture. With products deployed and tested.

As far as we know, only powerpc was converted in the last series you submitted, see 
https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/linuxppc-dev/list/?series=98106&state=*

> 
> I will resubmit my changes as soon as I can.
> 

Christophe
Daniel Walker March 3, 2021, 6:53 p.m. UTC | #4
On Wed, Mar 03, 2021 at 07:07:45PM +0100, Christophe Leroy wrote:
> 
> 
> Le 03/03/2021 à 18:39, Daniel Walker a écrit :
> > On Tue, Mar 02, 2021 at 08:01:01PM -0600, Rob Herring wrote:
> > > +Will D
> > > 
> > > On Tue, Mar 2, 2021 at 11:36 AM Daniel Walker <danielwa@cisco.com> wrote:
> > > > 
> > > > On Tue, Mar 02, 2021 at 05:25:16PM +0000, Christophe Leroy wrote:
> > > > > The purpose of this series is to improve and enhance the
> > > > > handling of kernel boot arguments.
> > > > > 
> > > > > It is first focussed on powerpc but also extends the capability
> > > > > for other arches.
> > > > > 
> > > > > This is based on suggestion from Daniel Walker <danielwa@cisco.com>
> > > > > 
> > > > 
> > > > 
> > > > I don't see a point in your changes at this time. My changes are much more
> > > > mature, and you changes don't really make improvements.
> > > 
> > > Not really a helpful comment. What we merge here will be from whomever
> > > is persistent and timely in their efforts. But please, work together
> > > on a common solution.
> > > 
> > > This one meets my requirements of moving the kconfig and code out of
> > > the arches, supports prepend/append, and is up to date.
> > 
> > 
> > Maintainers are capable of merging whatever they want to merge. However, I
> > wouldn't make hasty choices. The changes I've been submitting have been deployed
> > on millions of router instances and are more feature rich.
> > 
> > I believe I worked with you on this change, or something like it,
> > 
> > https://lkml.org/lkml/2019/3/19/970
> > 
> > I don't think Christophe has even addressed this.
> 
> I thing I have, see https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/linuxppc-dev/patch/3b4291271ce4af4941a771e5af5cbba3c8fa1b2a.1614705851.git.christophe.leroy@csgroup.eu/
> 
> If you see something missing in that patch, can you tell me.
 
Ok, must have missed that one.


> > I've converted many
> > architectures, and Cisco uses my changes on at least 4 different
> > architecture. With products deployed and tested.
> 
> As far as we know, only powerpc was converted in the last series you
> submitted, see
> https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/linuxppc-dev/list/?series=98106&state=*


Me and others submitted my changes many times, and other architectures have been included. The patch
you submitted I've submitted similar at Rob's request years ago.

Here a fuller submissions some time ago,

https://lore.kernel.org/patchwork/cover/992768/

You've only been involved in prior powerpc only submissions.

Daniel