[00/10] rsi: fix comment syntax in file headers
mbox series

Message ID 20210314201818.27380-1-yashsri421@gmail.com
Headers show
Series
  • rsi: fix comment syntax in file headers
Related show

Message

Aditya Srivastava March 14, 2021, 8:18 p.m. UTC
The opening comment mark '/**' is used for highlighting the beginning of
kernel-doc comments.
There are files in drivers/net/wireless/rsi which follow this syntax in
their file headers, i.e. start with '/**' like comments, which causes
unexpected warnings from kernel-doc.

E.g., running scripts/kernel-doc -none on drivers/net/wireless/rsi/rsi_coex.h
causes this warning:
"warning: wrong kernel-doc identifier on line:
 * Copyright (c) 2018 Redpine Signals Inc."

Similarly for other files too.

Provide a simple fix by replacing the kernel-doc like comment syntax with
general format, i.e. "/*", to prevent kernel-doc from parsing it.

* The patch series applies perfectly on next-20210312

Aditya Srivastava (10):
  rsi: rsi_boot_params: fix file header comment syntax
  rsi: rsi_coex: fix file header comment syntax
  rsi: rsi_ps: fix file header comment syntax
  rsi: rsi_common: fix file header comment syntax
  rsi: rsi_mgmt: fix file header comment syntax
  rsi: rsi_main: fix file header comment syntax
  rsi: rsi_hal: fix file header comment syntax
  rsi: rsi_debugfs: fix file header comment syntax
  rsi: rsi_sdio: fix file header comment syntax
  rsi: rsi_usb: fix file header comment syntax

 drivers/net/wireless/rsi/rsi_boot_params.h | 2 +-
 drivers/net/wireless/rsi/rsi_coex.h        | 2 +-
 drivers/net/wireless/rsi/rsi_common.h      | 2 +-
 drivers/net/wireless/rsi/rsi_debugfs.h     | 2 +-
 drivers/net/wireless/rsi/rsi_hal.h         | 2 +-
 drivers/net/wireless/rsi/rsi_main.h        | 2 +-
 drivers/net/wireless/rsi/rsi_mgmt.h        | 2 +-
 drivers/net/wireless/rsi/rsi_ps.h          | 2 +-
 drivers/net/wireless/rsi/rsi_sdio.h        | 2 +-
 drivers/net/wireless/rsi/rsi_usb.h         | 2 +-
 10 files changed, 10 insertions(+), 10 deletions(-)

Comments

Lukas Bulwahn March 15, 2021, 8:01 a.m. UTC | #1
On Sun, Mar 14, 2021 at 9:18 PM Aditya Srivastava <yashsri421@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> The opening comment mark '/**' is used for highlighting the beginning of
> kernel-doc comments.
> There are files in drivers/net/wireless/rsi which follow this syntax in
> their file headers, i.e. start with '/**' like comments, which causes
> unexpected warnings from kernel-doc.
>
> E.g., running scripts/kernel-doc -none on drivers/net/wireless/rsi/rsi_coex.h
> causes this warning:
> "warning: wrong kernel-doc identifier on line:
>  * Copyright (c) 2018 Redpine Signals Inc."
>
> Similarly for other files too.
>
> Provide a simple fix by replacing the kernel-doc like comment syntax with
> general format, i.e. "/*", to prevent kernel-doc from parsing it.
>

Aditya, thanks for starting to clean up the repository following your
investigation on kernel-doc warnings.

The changes to all those files look sound.

However I think these ten patches are really just _one change_, and
hence, all can be put into a single commit.

Hints that suggest it is one change:

- The commit message is pretty much the same (same motivation, same
explanation, same design decisions)
- The change is basically the same (same resulting change in different files)
- All patches are sent to the same responsible people, all of the
patches would be reviewed and accepted by the same people.
- All ten patches can be reviewed at once.

How about merging all ten patches into one patch and sending out a v2.

Lukas
Kalle Valo March 15, 2021, 8:41 a.m. UTC | #2
Lukas Bulwahn <lukas.bulwahn@gmail.com> writes:

> On Sun, Mar 14, 2021 at 9:18 PM Aditya Srivastava <yashsri421@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> The opening comment mark '/**' is used for highlighting the beginning of
>> kernel-doc comments.
>> There are files in drivers/net/wireless/rsi which follow this syntax in
>> their file headers, i.e. start with '/**' like comments, which causes
>> unexpected warnings from kernel-doc.
>>
>> E.g., running scripts/kernel-doc -none on drivers/net/wireless/rsi/rsi_coex.h
>> causes this warning:
>> "warning: wrong kernel-doc identifier on line:
>>  * Copyright (c) 2018 Redpine Signals Inc."
>>
>> Similarly for other files too.
>>
>> Provide a simple fix by replacing the kernel-doc like comment syntax with
>> general format, i.e. "/*", to prevent kernel-doc from parsing it.
>>
>
> Aditya, thanks for starting to clean up the repository following your
> investigation on kernel-doc warnings.
>
> The changes to all those files look sound.
>
> However I think these ten patches are really just _one change_, and
> hence, all can be put into a single commit.

I agree, this is one logical change to a single driver so one patch will
suffice. I think for cleanup changes like this one patch per driver is a
good approach.
Aditya Srivastava March 15, 2021, 5:28 p.m. UTC | #3
On 15/3/21 2:11 pm, Kalle Valo wrote:
> Lukas Bulwahn <lukas.bulwahn@gmail.com> writes:
> 
>> On Sun, Mar 14, 2021 at 9:18 PM Aditya Srivastava <yashsri421@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> The opening comment mark '/**' is used for highlighting the beginning of
>>> kernel-doc comments.
>>> There are files in drivers/net/wireless/rsi which follow this syntax in
>>> their file headers, i.e. start with '/**' like comments, which causes
>>> unexpected warnings from kernel-doc.
>>>
>>> E.g., running scripts/kernel-doc -none on drivers/net/wireless/rsi/rsi_coex.h
>>> causes this warning:
>>> "warning: wrong kernel-doc identifier on line:
>>>  * Copyright (c) 2018 Redpine Signals Inc."
>>>
>>> Similarly for other files too.
>>>
>>> Provide a simple fix by replacing the kernel-doc like comment syntax with
>>> general format, i.e. "/*", to prevent kernel-doc from parsing it.
>>>
>>
>> Aditya, thanks for starting to clean up the repository following your
>> investigation on kernel-doc warnings.
>>
>> The changes to all those files look sound.
>>
>> However I think these ten patches are really just _one change_, and
>> hence, all can be put into a single commit.
> 
> I agree, this is one logical change to a single driver so one patch will
> suffice. I think for cleanup changes like this one patch per driver is a
> good approach.
> 

Thanks for the feedback Lukas and Kalle. I will be sending the
modified v2.

Thanks
Aditya