platform-driver-x86.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
From: Thomas Koch <linrunner@gmx.net>
To: Hans de Goede <hdegoede@redhat.com>,
	Sebastian Reichel <sebastian.reichel@collabora.com>
Cc: "Thomas Weißschuh" <thomas@weissschuh.net>,
	"Nicolò Piazzalunga" <nicolopiazzalunga@gmail.com>,
	linux-pm@vger.kernel.org,
	"smclt30p@gmail.com" <smclt30p@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [RFC] add standardized attributes for force_discharge and inhibit_charge
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2021 21:24:14 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi,

On 06.10.21 19:47, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 10/6/21 6:28 PM, Sebastian Reichel wrote:
>> Hi,

>>> Good point, but something like /sys/power/mem_sleep works
>>> very differently then how all the other power_supply properties work.
>>
>> Actually we already use this format in power-supply for USB
>> types, implemented in power_supply_show_usb_type().
>>
>>> In general if something is supported or not on a psy class
>>> device is communicated by the presence / absence of attributes.
>>>
>>> So I think we should move back to having 2 separate attributes
>>> for this after all; and group the 2 together in the doc and
>>> document that enabling (setting to 1) one of force_charge /
>>> inhibit_charge automatically clears the setting of the other.
>>>
>>> Then the availability of the features can simply be probed
>>> by checking for the presence of the property files.
>>
>> If it's two files, then somebody needs to come up with proper
>> names. Things like 'force_discharge' look sensible in this context,
>> but on a system with two batteries (like some Thinkpads have) it
>> is easy to confuse with "I want to discharge this battery before
>> the other one (while no AC is connected)". > Ah I did not realize there was already some (read-only) precedence
> for this in the psy subsystem.
>
> Since there is precedence for this using
> /sys/class/power_supply/<supply_name>/charge_behaviour
>
> with an example contents of say:
>
> [auto] inhibit-charge force-discharge
>
> Works for me and having 1 file instead of 2 is better then
> because this clearly encapsulates that inhibit-charge and
> force-discharge are mutually exclusive.
In fact they do not reset each other on ThinkPads. It's possible to

1. set force_discharge=1 -- discharging commences
2. set inhibit_charge=1 -- discharging continues, force_discharge remains 1
3. set force_discharge=0 -- battery does not charge, inhibit_charge
remains 1

> Regards,
>
> Hans

Freundliche Grüße / Kind regards,