On Fri, Aug 16, 2019 at 11:58:05AM +0200, Philippe Mathieu-Daudé wrote: > Hi Tony, > > On 8/16/19 8:28 AM, tony.nguyen@bt.com wrote: > > This patchset implements the IE (Invert Endian) bit in SPARCv9 MMU TTE. > > > > v7: > [...] > > - Re-declared many native endian devices as little or big endian. This is why > > v7 has +16 patches. > > Why are you doing that? What is the rational? > > Anyhow if this not required by your series, you should split it out of > it, and send it on your principal changes are merged. > I'm worried because this these new patches involve many subsystems (thus > maintainers) and reviewing them will now take a fair amount of time. > > > For each device declared with DEVICE_NATIVE_ENDIAN, find the set of > > targets from the set of target/hw/*/device.o. > > > > If the set of targets are all little or all big endian, re-declare > > the device endianness as DEVICE_LITTLE_ENDIAN or DEVICE_BIG_ENDIAN > > respectively. > > If only little endian targets use a device, that doesn't mean the device > is designed in little endian... > > Then if a big endian target plan to use this device, it will require > more work and you might have introduced regressions... Uh.. only if they make the version of the device on a big endian target big endian. Which is a terrible idea - if you know a hardware designer planning to do this, please slap them. -- David Gibson | I'll have my music baroque, and my code david AT gibson.dropbear.id.au | minimalist, thank you. NOT _the_ _other_ | _way_ _around_! http://www.ozlabs.org/~dgibson