QEMU-Devel Archive on lore.kernel.org
From: Gerd Hoffmann <kraxel@redhat.com>
To: BALATON Zoltan <balaton@eik.bme.hu>
Cc: Mark Cave-Ayland <mark.cave-ayland@ilande.co.uk>, qemu-devel@nongnu.org
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Machine specific option ROMs
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2019 14:28:25 +0200

  Hi,

> Plus I don't know if other firmwares such as sam460ex U-Boot can handle such
> multiplatform ROMs, especially because it can use x86 ROM

Yes, how the guest treats those roms is another issue.  bios/efi combo
roms on x86 are not that uncommon.  But I'm not sure how widespread
bios/openfirmare combo roms are used (have been used) in practice.  If
guests can't deal with it (and try to run a x86 emulator on the bios
image instead) it might not be the best plan to go that route.

> just not the QEMU
> vgabios due to not emulating i386 specific opcodes that gcc puts in real
> mode code

What does sam460ex use?  Some x86emu fork?  If so upgrading might help.
Xorg uses x86emu too and older versions have problems with the
gcc-generated real mode code too.

cheers,
  Gerd