On Sat, Nov 09, 2019 at 03:59:24PM +0000, Peter Maydell wrote: > On Fri, 8 Nov 2019 at 19:48, Palmer Dabbelt wrote: > > > > The device tree format allows for arrays of strings, which are encoded > > with '\0's inside regular strings. These are ugly to represent in C, so > > the helper function represents them as strings with internal '\0's that > > are terminated with a double '\0'. In other words, the array > > ["string1", "string2"] is represeted as "string1\0string2\0". > > > > The DTB generated by this function is accepted by DTC and produces an > > array of strings, but I can't find any explicit line in the DT > > specification that defines how these are encoded. > > > +/* > > + * This uses a particularly odd encoding: "strings" is a list of strings that > > + * must be terminated by two back-to-back '\0' characters. > > + */ > > +int qemu_fdt_setprop_strings(void *fdt, const char *node_path, > > + const char *property, const char *strings); > > The clean API for this would be to use varargs so you could write > > qemu_fdt_setprop_stringlist(fdt, node, prop, "arm,armv8-timer", > "arm,armv7-timer"); > > and have it do the assembly into the encoding that fdt expects. > That would require us to do a bit of allocation-and-freeing > to assemble the string, of course, but then we only do fdt > creation at startup. Right, I really don't see the value in this interface. Using "foo\0bar" is a little ugly, but not really any uglier than "foo\0bar\0". The existing interface would be a drag if you had dynamically created entries in the list (because getting the size can't be done with sizeof() then), but I don't think that's actually a very likely usecase. > NB: I think that this is a good idea but not-for-4.2 material, > so if you wanted your sifive board change to go into 4.2 you > should probably start with the simple approach and leave the > refactoring for the next release cycle. I concur. -- David Gibson | I'll have my music baroque, and my code david AT gibson.dropbear.id.au | minimalist, thank you. NOT _the_ _other_ | _way_ _around_! http://www.ozlabs.org/~dgibson