On Fri, Jul 24, 2020 at 10:58:45AM +0000, Alyssa Ross wrote: > Alyssa Ross writes: > > > Stefan Hajnoczi writes: > > > >> On Tue, Jul 21, 2020 at 07:14:38AM +0000, Alyssa Ross wrote: > >>> Hi -- I hope it's okay me reaching out like this. > >>> > >>> I've been trying to test out the virtio-vhost-user implementation that's > >>> been posted to this list a couple of times, but have been unable to get > >>> it to boot a kernel following the steps listed either on > >>> or > >>> . > >>> > >>> Specifically, the kernel appears to be unable to write to the > >>> virtio-vhost-user device's PCI registers. I've included the full panic > >>> output from the kernel at the end of this message. The panic is > >>> reproducible with two different kernels I tried (with different configs > >>> and versions). I tried both versions of the virtio-vhost-user I was > >>> able to find[1][2], and both exhibited the same behaviour. > >>> > >>> Is this a known issue? Am I doing something wrong? > >> > >> Hi, > >> Unfortunately I'm not sure what the issue is. This is an early > >> virtio-pci register access before a driver for any specific device type > >> (net, blk, vhost-user, etc) comes into play. > > > > Small update here: I tried on another computer, and it worked. Made > > sure that it was exactly the same QEMU binary, command line, and VM > > disk/initrd/kernel, so I think I can fairly confidently say the panic > > depends on what hardware QEMU is running on. I set -cpu value to the > > same on both as well (SandyBridge). > > > > I also discovered that it works on my primary computer (the one it > > panicked on before) with KVM disabled. > > > > Note that I've only got so far as finding that it boots on the other > > machine -- I haven't verified yet that it actually works. > > > > Bad host CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2520M CPU @ 2.50GHz > > Good host CPU: AMD EPYC 7401P 24-Core Processor > > > > May I ask what host CPUs other people have tested this on? Having more > > data would probably be useful. Could it be an AMD vs. Intel thing? > > I think I've figured it out! > > Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge hosts encounter this panic because the > "additional resources" bar size is too big, at 1 << 36. If I change > this to 1 << 35, no more kernel panic. > > Skylake and later are fine with 1 << 36. In between Ivy Bridge and > Skylake were Haswell and Broadwell, but I couldn't find anybody who was > able to help me test on either of those, so I don't know what they do. > > Perhaps related, the hosts that produce panics all seem to have a > physical address size of 36 bits, while the hosts that work have larger > physical address sizes, as reported by lscpu. I have run it successfully on Broadwell but never tried 64GB or larger shared memory resources. Stefan