On Fri, Dec 04, 2020 at 09:50:05AM +0000, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote: > On Fri, Dec 04, 2020 at 04:44:02PM +1100, David Gibson wrote: > > A number of hardware platforms are implementing mechanisms whereby the > > hypervisor does not have unfettered access to guest memory, in order > > to mitigate the security impact of a compromised hypervisor. > > > > AMD's SEV implements this with in-cpu memory encryption, and Intel has > > its own memory encryption mechanism. POWER has an upcoming mechanism > > to accomplish this in a different way, using a new memory protection > > level plus a small trusted ultravisor. s390 also has a protected > > execution environment. > > > > The current code (committed or draft) for these features has each > > platform's version configured entirely differently. That doesn't seem > > ideal for users, or particularly for management layers. > > > > AMD SEV introduces a notionally generic machine option > > "machine-encryption", but it doesn't actually cover any cases other > > than SEV. > > > > This series is a proposal to at least partially unify configuration > > for these mechanisms, by renaming and generalizing AMD's > > "memory-encryption" property. It is replaced by a > > "securable-guest-memory" property pointing to a platform specific > > object which configures and manages the specific details. > > There's no docs updated or added in this series. > > docs/amd-memory-encryption.txt needs an update at least, and > there ought to be a doc added describing how this series is > to be used for s390/ppc Fair point, I've made a bunch of doc updates for the next spin. -- David Gibson | I'll have my music baroque, and my code david AT gibson.dropbear.id.au | minimalist, thank you. NOT _the_ _other_ | _way_ _around_! http://www.ozlabs.org/~dgibson