On 10/27/21 07:55, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote: > On Wed, Oct 27, 2021 at 07:41:41AM -0400, Jonah Palmer wrote: >> This series introduces new QMP/HMP commands to dump the status of a >> virtio device at different levels. >> >> [Jonah: Rebasing previous patchset from Oct. 5 (v7). Original patches >> are from Laurent Vivier from May 2020. >> >> Rebase from v7 to v8 includes an additional assert to make sure >> we're not returning NULL in virtio_id_to_name(). Rebase also >> includes minor additions/edits to qapi/virtio.json.] >> >> 1. Main command >> >> HMP Only: >> >> virtio [subcommand] >> >> Example: >> >> List all sub-commands: >> >> (qemu) virtio >> virtio query -- List all available virtio devices >> virtio status path -- Display status of a given virtio device >> virtio queue-status path queue -- Display status of a given virtio queue >> virtio vhost-queue-status path queue -- Display status of a given vhost queue >> virtio queue-element path queue [index] -- Display element of a given virtio queue > I don't see a compelling reason why these are setup as sub-commands > under a new "virtio" top level. This HMP approach and the QMP 'x-debug-query' > naming just feels needlessly different from the current QEMU practices. > > IMHO they should just be "info" subcommands for HMP. ie > > info virtio -- List all available virtio devices > info virtio-status path -- Display status of a given virtio device > info virtio-queue-status path queue -- Display status of a given virtio queue > info virtio-vhost-queue-status path queue -- Display status of a given vhost queue > info virtio-queue-element path queue [index] -- Display element of a given virtio queue > > While the corresponding QMP commands ought to be > > x-query-virtio > x-query-virtio-status > x-query-virtio-queue-status > x-query-virtio-vhost-queue-status > x-query-virtio-queue-element > > > Regards, > Daniel Sure, I don't mind changing it to this if this is what others would prefer. If there aren't any objections, I'll switch it to this in the next revision. Jonah