On 02/08/2016 09:28 AM, Daniel P. Berrange wrote: >> My vote: do the same as we do for qcow2 or any other format. Make the >> size requested by the user as the size visible to the guest, and a >> fully-allocated image will take more space on the host than what the >> guest is using (that is, a fully-allocated 10G LUKS disk would present >> 10G payload to the guest but occupy 10G+1M on the host). > > Yes, I had a todo item in the code asking which was better > > /* XXX Should we treat size as being total physical size > * of the image (ie payload + encryption header), or just > * the logical size of the image (ie payload). If the latter > * then we need to extend 'size' to include the header > * size */ > qemu_opt_set_number(opts, BLOCK_OPT_SIZE, size, &error_abort); > > And Fam suggested the same as you - show full 10 G to the guest. > > The complication is that we need to create the backing file > before we format the luks header, and we don't know the size > of the luks header at that point. So either I could format > the luks header into a temporary in-memory buffer, or I have > to create the file and then resize it afterwards, or I have > to provide some way to calculate the eventual header size > prior to creating it. I didn't much like any of those options :-) Well, if we hard-code stripes==4000, then we pretty much know that the header is just under 1M for the maximum size key (aes-256); and rounding up to 1M is nice for all cluster sizes except 2M. I suppose we could fit in 512k if we use a smaller key (aes-128), but would it hurt to just hard-code a reservation of 1M? >> Cool! Would it be worth augmenting the commit message to show a >> sequence of commands where you loopback mount a LUKS image file created >> by qemu, then wire that up with cryptsetup, as a proof that the two are >> compatible implementations? > > My intent is to add something to tests/qemu-iotests that will check > interoperability between qemu + cryptsetup. Slight complication is > that those io tests all expect to run unprivileged. So it'll need > a manual step run privileged to create the cryptsetup disk images > for testing with. We've checked in compressed binary images before; but 1M of key material won't compress well. -- Eric Blake eblake redhat com +1-919-301-3266 Libvirt virtualization library http://libvirt.org