Laszlo Ersek writes: > On 07/29/19 14:57, Sergio Lopez wrote: >> Implement the modern (v2) personality, according to the VirtIO 1.0 >> specification. >> >> Support for v2 among guests is not as widespread as it'd be >> desirable. While the Linux driver has had it for a while, support is >> missing, at least, from Tianocore EDK II, NetBSD and FreeBSD. > > That's right; not only are there no plans to implement virtio-mmio/1.0 > for OVMF (to my knowledge), I'd even argue against such efforts. That's good to know, because I was planning to work on that (the changes are quite small, actually) in a couple weeks. ;-) > OVMF is a heavy-weight guest firmware, which I see entirely out of scope > for "micro VMs". And so virtio-mmio/1.0 would seem like a needless & > unwelcome complication, from the OVMF maintainership perspective. > > (This should not be construed as an argument against "micro VMs" -- I > always say, identify your use case, then pick the right components for > it. I never try to convince people to use OVMF indiscriminately.) > >> For this reason, the v2 personality is disabled, keeping the legacy >> behavior as default. Machine types willing to use v2, can enable it >> using MachineClass's compat_props. > > This approach makes me happy (with the understanding that edk2 guest > firmware is not going to target the new machine type(s) in question). > > Thanks! > Laszlo