qemu-devel.nongnu.org archive mirror
From: Markus Armbruster <armbru@redhat.com>
To: Gerd Hoffmann <kraxel@redhat.com>
Cc: "Igor Mammedov" <imammedo@redhat.com>,
	"Daniel P. Berrangé" <berrange@redhat.com>,
	qemu-devel@nongnu.org, "Paolo Bonzini" <pbonzini@redhat.com>
Subject: Re: QMP introspecting device props common to a bus type
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2021 11:18:42 +0200	[thread overview]

Gerd Hoffmann <kraxel@redhat.com> writes:

>   Hi,
>
>> device-list-properties uses module_object_class_by_name(), requires the
>> result to be a concrete device type, iterates over QOM properties with
>> object_property_iter_init() / object_property_iter_next(), skipping
>> properties named "type", "realized", "hotpluggable", "hotplugged",
>> "parent_bus", and any whose starts with "legacy-".
>>
>> Paolo, can you remind us why we skip the "legacy-FOO" properties?
>>
>> qom-list-properties uses object_class_by_name(), requires an object type
>> (an interface won't do).  If it's abstract, it iterates with
>> object_class_property_iter_init() / object_property_iter_next(), else
>> with object_property_iter_init() / object_property_iter_next().  It
>> doesn't skip properties.
>>
>> Looks like device-list-properties has become[*] pretty much redundant
>> *except* for the difference between module_object_class_by_name() and
>> object_class_by_name().
>>
>> Gerd, you changed device-list-properties from object_class_by_name() to
>> module_object_class_by_name() in commit 7ab6e7fcce.  Should
>> qom-list-properties be changed, too?
>
> Makes sense.  We already have non-device modular objects
> (some chardevs).
>
>> If yes, is there any reason to use
>> object_class_by_name() for looking up user-provided type names in QMP
>> commands?
>
> I've tried to be conservative and call module_object_class_by_name()
> only in places where it is actually needed.  Reason one being the extra
> overhead.  But maybe this isn't too bad given the extra module code runs
> only on lookup failures.  Reason two is to avoid modules being loaded by
> accident even when not needed.  This needs checking when you try drop
> object_class_by_name().  A VM without --for example -- qxl device should
> not load the qxl module.

Yes, module load should be reasonably explicit, to avoid accidental

Automatic load on use is explicit enough.

Automatic load on introspection could perhaps be surprising.  I figure
it depends on how the introspection request is phrased.  Loading X on
"tell me more about X" feels okay.  Loading X on "show me all the X that
satisfy Y" feels iffy.

A systematic review of object_class_by_name() and
module_object_class_by_name() use might be advisable.