qemu-devel.nongnu.org archive mirror
From: "Alex Bennée" <alex.bennee@linaro.org>
To: qemu-devel@nongnu.org
Cc: "Alessandro Di Federico" <ale@rev.ng>,
	"Taylor Simpson" <tsimpson@quicinc.com>,
	"nizzo@rev.ng" <nizzo@rev.ng>,
	"Niccolò Izzo" <izzoniccolo@gmail.com>,
	"Aleksandar Markovic" <aleksandar.m.mail@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: QEMU for Qualcomm Hexagon - KVM Forum talk and code available
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2019 10:31:16 +0000	[thread overview]

Taylor Simpson <tsimpson@quicinc.com> writes:

> I had discussions with several people at the KVM Forum, and I’ve been thinking about how to divide up the code for community review.  Here is my proposal for the steps.
>
>   1.  linux-user changes + linux-user/hexagon + skeleton of target/hexagon
> This is the minimum amount to build and run a very simple program.  I
>   have an assembly program that prints “Hello” and exits.  It is
>   constructed to use very few instructions that can be added brute
>   force in the Hexagon back end.

I'm hoping most of the linux-user changes are in the hexagon runloop?
There has been quite a bit of work splitting up and cleaning up the
#ifdef mess in linux-user over the last few years.

>   2.  Add the code that is imported from the Hexagon simulator and the qemu helper generator
> This will allow the scalar ISA to be executed.  This will grow the set
> of programs that could execute, but there will still be limitations.
> In particular, there can be no packets which means the C library won’t
> work .  We have to build with -nostdlib

You could run -nostdlib system TCG tests (hello and memory) but that
would require modelling some sort of hardware and assumes you have a
simple serial port or semihosting solution. That said a bunch of the
MIPS tests are linux-user and -nostdlib so that isn't a major problem in
getting some of the tests running.

When you say code imported from the hexagon simulator I was under the
impression you were generating code from the instruction description.
Otherwise you'll need to be very clear about your licensing grants.

>   3.  Add support for packet semantics
> At this point, we will be able to execute full programs linked with
> the C library.  This will include the check-tcg tests.

I think the interesting question is if the roll-back semantics of the
hexagon are something we might need for other emulated architectures or
is a particularly specific solution for Hexagon (I'm guessing the later).

>   4.  Add support for the wide vector extensions
>   5.  Add the helper overrides for performance optimization
> Some of these will be written by hand, and we’ll work with rev.ng to
>   integrate their flex/bison generator.

One thing to nail down will be will we include the generated code in the
source tree with a tool to regenerate (much like we do for
linux-headers) or if we want to add the dependency and regenerate each
time from scratch. I don't see including flex/bison as a dependency
being a major issue (in fact we have it in our docker images so I guess
something uses it). However it might be trickier depending on
libclang which was also being discussed.

--
Alex Bennée