qemu-devel.nongnu.org archive mirror
From: Sergio Lopez <slp@redhat.com>
To: Eduardo Habkost <ehabkost@redhat.com>
Cc: tao3.xu@intel.com, qemu-devel@nongnu.org,
	mihajlov@linux.vnet.ibm.com, imammedo@redhat.com,
	alex.bennee@linaro.org, dgilbert@redhat.com
Subject: Re: Arch info lost in "info cpus"
Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2019 09:58:00 +0200	[thread overview]

Eduardo Habkost <ehabkost@redhat.com> writes:

> On Mon, Sep 30, 2019 at 12:22:22PM +0200, Sergio Lopez wrote:
>>
>> Alex Bennée <alex.bennee@linaro.org> writes:

>> > You can always enable the gdbserver from the HMP when you need it.

>> > info registers
>> >
>> > should give you a full dump of the CPU state including the PC.
>> >

>> Both methods are less convenient that what we had before. Perhaps it'd
>> be reasonable adding a flag to "info cpus" to give users the options of
>> having the same behavior as before?
>
> Is "info registers -a" less convenient because it prints too much
> information, or because it doesn't print the active CPU indicator
> and thread_id?

A bit of both. Previously, "info cpus" gave you the PC, thread_id, and
whether the CPU is halted or not, which is just enough information to
have an initial idea of the VM's and Guest's status at a quick
glance. You can even call it multiple times to see how the CPUs were
progressing. This came specially useful when debugging boot hangs.

I mean, as for myself, I can definitely work with "info registers
-a". But I would find hard explaining users why the original
functionality of "info cpus" was lost.

Cheers,
Sergio.