QEMU-Devel Archive on lore.kernel.org
From: Alyssa Ross <hi@alyssa.is>
To: Stefan Hajnoczi <stefanha@redhat.com>
Cc: Nikos Dragazis <ndragazis@arrikto.com>, qemu-devel@nongnu.org
Subject: Re: Testing the virtio-vhost-user QEMU patch
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2020 21:56:53 +0000

Stefan Hajnoczi <stefanha@redhat.com> writes:

> On Fri, Jul 24, 2020 at 10:58:45AM +0000, Alyssa Ross wrote:
>> Alyssa Ross <hi@alyssa.is> writes:

>> > Small update here: I tried on another computer, and it worked.  Made
>> > sure that it was exactly the same QEMU binary, command line, and VM
>> > disk/initrd/kernel, so I think I can fairly confidently say the panic
>> > depends on what hardware QEMU is running on.  I set -cpu value to the
>> > same on both as well (SandyBridge).
>> >
>> > I also discovered that it works on my primary computer (the one it
>> > panicked on before) with KVM disabled.
>> >
>> > Note that I've only got so far as finding that it boots on the other
>> > machine -- I haven't verified yet that it actually works.
>> >
>> > Bad host CPU:  Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2520M CPU @ 2.50GHz
>> > Good host CPU: AMD EPYC 7401P 24-Core Processor
>> >
>> > May I ask what host CPUs other people have tested this on?  Having more
>> > data would probably be useful.  Could it be an AMD vs. Intel thing?
>>
>> I think I've figured it out!
>>
>> Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge hosts encounter this panic because the
>> "additional resources" bar size is too big, at 1 << 36.  If I change
>> this to 1 << 35, no more kernel panic.
>>
>> Skylake and later are fine with 1 << 36.  In between Ivy Bridge and
>> Skylake were Haswell and Broadwell, but I couldn't find anybody who was
>> able to help me test on either of those, so I don't know what they do.
>>
>> Perhaps related, the hosts that produce panics all seem to have a
>> physical address size of 36 bits, while the hosts that work have larger
>> physical address sizes, as reported by lscpu.
>
> I have run it successfully on Broadwell but never tried 64GB or larger
> shared memory resources.

To clarify, I haven't been using big shared memory resources either --
this has all been about getting the backend VM to start at all.  The
panic happens at boot, and the 1 << 36 BAR allocation comes from here,
during realization:
https://github.com/ndragazis/qemu/blob/f9ab08c0c8/hw/virtio/virtio-vhost-user-pci.c#L291