qemu-devel.nongnu.org archive mirror
From: geoff@hostfission.com
To: "Dr. David Alan Gilbert" <dgilbert@redhat.com>
Cc: marcandre.lureau@redhat.com, maxime.coquelin@redhat.com,
	Peter Maydell <peter.maydell@linaro.org>,
	QEMU Developers <qemu-devel@nongnu.org>
Subject: Re: RFC: New device for zero-copy VM memory access
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2019 23:05:18 +1100	[thread overview]

On 2019-11-04 22:55, Dr. David Alan Gilbert wrote:
> * geoff@hostfission.com (geoff@hostfission.com) wrote:

>> > I have been looking into this and I am yet to find some decent
>> > documentation or a simple device example I can use to understand how to
>> > create such a device. Do you know of any reading or examples I can
>> > obtain
>> > on how to get an initial do nothing device up and running?
>> >
>> > -Geoff
>>
>> Scratch that, the design just solidified for me and I am now making
>> progress, however it seems that vhost-user can't do what we need here:
>>
>> 1) I dont see any way to recieve notification of socket disconnection,
>> in
>> our use case the client app needs to be able to be (re)connected
>> dynamically. It might be possible to get this event by registering it
>> on
>> the chardev manually but this seems like it would be a kludge.
>
> My understanding was that someone added support for reconnection of
> vhost-user;  I'm not sure of the detail - cc'ing in Maxime and
> Marc-Andre.
>
>> 2) I don't see any method of notifying the vhost-user client of the
>> removal of a shared memory mapping. Again, these may not be
>> persistently
>> mapped in the guest as we have no control over the buffer allocation,
>> and
>> as such, we need a method to notify the client that the mapping has
>> become
>> invalid.
>>
>> 3) VHOST_USER_SET_MEM_TABLE is a one time request, again this breaks
>> our
>> usage as we need to change this dynamically at runtime.
>
> I've seen (3) being sent multiple times (It's messy but it happens); so
> I think that fixes (2) as well for you.

Yes, but it's ignored.

     /*
      * For non-vring specific requests, like VHOST_USER_SET_MEM_TABLE,
      * we just need send it once in the first time. For later such
      * request, we just ignore it.
      */
     if (vhost_user_one_time_request(msg->hdr.request) && dev->vq_index
!= 0) {
          msg->hdr.flags &= ~VHOST_USER_NEED_REPLY_MASK;
          return 0;
     }