On Thu, Jul 22, 2021 at 3:14 PM Dr. David Alan Gilbert wrote: > * Richard Henderson (richard.henderson@linaro.org) wrote: > > On 7/22/21 12:02 AM, Dr. David Alan Gilbert wrote: > > > Hi Richard, > > > I think you were the last person to fiddle with the prefetching > > > in buffer_zero_avx2 and friends; Joe (cc'd) wondered if explicit > > > prefetching still made sense on modern CPUs, and that their hardware > > > generally figures stuff out better on simple increments. > > > > > > What was your thinking on this, and did you actually measure > > > any improvement? > > > > Ah, well, that was 5 years ago so I have no particular memory of this. > It > > wouldn't surprise me if you can't measure any improvement on modern > > hardware. > > > > Do you now measure an improvement with the prefetches gone? > > Not tried, it just came from Joe's suggestion that it was generally a > bad idea these days; I do remember that the behaviour of those functions > is quite tricky because there performance is VERY data dependent - many > VMs actually have pages that are quite dirty so you never iterate the > loop, but then you hit others with big zero pages and you spend your > entire life in the loop. > > Dave, Richard: My curiosity got the best of me. So I created a small test program that used the buffer_zero_avx2() routine from qemu's bufferiszero.c. When I run it on an Intel Cascade Lake processor, the cost of calling "__builtin_prefetch(p)" is in the noise range . It's always "just slightly" slower. I doubt it could ever be measured in qemu. Ironically, when I disabled the hardware prefetchers, the program slowed down over 33%. And the call to "__builtin_prefetch(p)" actually hurt performance by over 3%. My results are below, (only with the hardware prefetchers enabled). The program is attached. Joe # gcc -mavx buffer_zero_avx.c -O -DDO_PREFETCH ; for i in {1..5}; do ./a.out; done TSC 356144 Kcycles. TSC 356714 Kcycles. TSC 356707 Kcycles. TSC 356565 Kcycles. TSC 356853 Kcycles. # gcc -mavx buffer_zero_avx.c -O ; for i in {1..5}; do ./a.out; done TSC 355520 Kcycles. TSC 355961 Kcycles. TSC 355872 Kcycles. TSC 355948 Kcycles. TSC 355918 Kcycles. Dave > > > > r~ > > > -- > Dr. David Alan Gilbert / dgilbert@redhat.com / Manchester, UK > >