QEMU-Devel Archive on lore.kernel.org
From: Aleksandar Markovic <aleksandar.m.mail@gmail.com>
To: Rajath Shashidhara <rajaths@cs.utexas.edu>
Cc: "qemu-devel@nongnu.org" <qemu-devel@nongnu.org>
Subject: Re: Looking for issues/features for my first contribution
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2019 14:33:14 +0100

On Thu, Nov 7, 2019 at 11:37 AM Aleksandar Markovic
<aleksandar.m.mail@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thursday, November 7, 2019, Rajath Shashidhara <rajaths@cs.utexas.edu> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am a Computer Science graduate student at The University of Texas at Austin (UT, Austin). I am looking forward to contributing to qemu !
>>
>> This semester, I am taking a class in Virtualization (https://github.com/vijay03/cs378-f19) and contributing to a virtualization related open-source project is a significant part of the course.
>> I would be interested in contributing a patchset to qemu - possibly a self-contained feature or a reasonably complex bug fix that can be completed in under a month's time. I did look at both the bugtracker and the QEMU Google Summer of Code 2019 page [https://wiki.qemu.org/Google_Summer_of_Code_2019] for ideas. However, I would be interested in hearing from the community and I would be delighted if somebody can be suggest a suitable project !
>>

> Hello, Rajath!
>
> Thank you for expressing interest in QEMU open source project.
>
> There is certainly a place for you and your contributions in QEMU, and you are very welcomed!
>
> It looks to me the following project would fit your description:
>
> 'Implement emulation of DS3231 real time clock in QEMU'
>
> Datasheet:
>
> https://datasheets.maximintegrated.com/en/ds/DS3231.pdf
>
> The steps needed to complete it (in my opinion):
>
> - collect datasheets of as many as possible RTC chips already emulated in QEMU (there are around of dozen of them, see folder hw/rtc)

I did a quick Google search on datasheets of existing RTC
implemtations, and the result is:

DS1338: https://datasheets.maximintegrated.com/en/ds/DS1338-DS1338Z.pdf
M41T80: https://www.st.com/resource/en/datasheet/m41t80.pdf
M48T59: http://www.elektronikjk.pl/elementy_czynne/IC/M48T59V.pdf