qemu-devel.nongnu.org archive mirror
From: CKIM <sgplap30@gmail.com>
To: Peter Maydell <peter.maydell@linaro.org>
Cc: cheolyon38@naver.com, QEMU Developers <qemu-devel@nongnu.org>
Subject: Re: qemu-system-sparc64 instruction set architecture compatibility (sparc v8+ vs sparc v9)
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2021 22:00:39 +0800	[thread overview]

On 4/5/2021 7:16 PM, Peter Maydell wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Apr 2021 at 23:26, CKIM <sgplap30@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I have very old binary (testgen) which was built from old sparc station.
>> (no source code)
>>
>> If I run "file testgen", I get the following.
>> ELF 32-bit MSB executable SPARC32PLUS Version 1, V8+ Required,
>> UltraSPARC1 Extensions Required, statically linked, not stripped
>
> You don't say what OS this binary is intended to run on.

The binary is running on Sun Solaris 5.8.
SunOS sinuc035 5.8 Generic_117350-62 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-V440

>> I was able to install most of sun4m / sun4u guests listed in the wiki
>> and network setup was also ok but none of them could run the "testgen"
>> binary.
>>
>> I always get "Cannot execute ELF binary" error message.
>
> Are any of them the OS that the binary requires? You should
> start by using the right OS, not by trying to test all of them.

Yeah.. I started the Solaris first. Solaris 2.6, 7, 8, 9 all sun4m. None
of them worked.

The solaris10 (OpenSPARCT1_Arch.1.5.tar.bz2) doesn't have info how to
setup network...

Do you mean the binary from SunOS won't work on other OS like NetBSD ?
I thought NetBSD/sparc64 can run solaris binaries.